wet pellet starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkondolian

Reaction score
I made a really nice porter using safale 005. I want to start another batch of it, tonight, and I have everything I need except for more dry yeast.

BUT I have several bottles of the previous batch, having been kept at room temp the whole time.

How many 740 mL bottles' worth of yeast pellets would it take to pitch a new 6 gallon batch? OG around 1.05. Three bottles' worth?

Thanks!

you mean using the slurry at the bottom of the bottles? I suspect they've probably sat too long to be still viable (how long has it been since they were bottled?), but according to mrmalty.com; you'd want ~100 mL of a yeast slurry of average thickness for 6 gallons of 1.050 wort. (which would be alot of bottles worth)

you could try stepping up the dregs from a couple bottles in a starter (but that's not going to allow you to brew tonight, that will take several days or a week or so)

Sorry, you shouldn't brew tonight. Even if you were able to salvage some viable yeast from a few bottles, you'd need to make a starter and let it propagate for about three days before you'd have anything worth pitching.

Latest posts

Back