Wet Dog smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aric6785

Reaction score
Hey all... Pretty new to home brewing. I’ve brewed about 10 batches. 2 extract and 8 all grain... I put a Blue moonish clone in the keg last week for a party tomorrow. Set it at 12 PSI... I went to taste it today and noticed the smell was almost like a wet dog type smell... However, the taste was pretty spot on... I did do a secondary, which I’m probably going to stop doing, and added hops and orange peel... and it smelled great going in the keg... I use PBW and StarSan to clean and sanitize with... Could this be oxidation? I did notice some bubbling in the siphoning process, but didn’t think it would go bad this quick.

That is fascinating. We have 4 dogs so wet dog smell taste is kinda given. If you do fruits, do secondary. Did you add Potassium Sorbate to put yeast to sleep? Maybe just give it a week or so. If it taste good, probably best sign. You really got to agitate it for oxygenation....dont think that's your issue.

No, didn’t add anything to it like that. I’ve only pulled about two 8 ounce glasses from it, you know, just to sample it before I take it to the party. I read on a different forum that it might just take a few pours, might be from the sitting StarSan that was in the dip tube... I don’t know, but it taste like a blue moon. I thought it smelled like a wet dog, then I let my wife smell it and she said the same thing.

Might just be the trub from the bottom of the keg. I’d be pulling more than two 8oz glasses before moving it to a party so you can get as much of the settled yeast etc out before stirring it up.

I don’t understand @PianoMan suggestion about sorbate - hardly any brewers do that (common in wine and cider). I do think it could be from oxidation, and I’m not one to push crazy oxygen preventing tactics nor do I usually go there....but with this beer (light flavors with nothing to hide behind) and your issues with getting air in.....it could well be oxidation.

I got wet dog from a pilsner I made recently. It went away after a few pints pulled/a few weeks in the keg.

I’ll keep you guys updated tomorrow, after we have had some glasses, and let you know the results.

I get a wet dog smell on the first pour from a keg sometimes. Should I purge the line each time I pour a first beer of the day?

Back