Quantcast

Westvleteren Abt no12 clone

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
Finished brewing this beer last night. My og came out around 1.19 vs set at 1.107. Hopefully this brew turns out great - no bubbles in the airlock yet but anxiously awaiting!
 

Sheldon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
54
Location
woodbridge, va
I did an AHS Abt 12 that came our great. How about posting you recipe. I have 7 bottles of the real Westy 12 from a recent brewery tour trip to Belgium. Trying to hold off and let them age.
 

rjwhite41

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
27
Location
Osceola
If you're interested in Westy 12 clones then you might be interested in this thread. I brewed the old world recipe about a year ago and it is absolutely delicious.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
Sheldon said:
I did an AHS Abt 12 that came our great. How about posting you recipe. I have 7 bottles of the real Westy 12 from a recent brewery tour trip to Belgium. Trying to hold off and let them age.
16 3/4 lbs Belgian 2 row pilsner malt
18 oz belgian cara-Munich malt
8 oz aromatic malt
7 oz biscuit malt
4 oz special b malt
2 oz chocolate malt
1 lb Belgian clear cndi sugar
4 oz Belgian amber candy sugar
6 oz malt dextrin

Bittering - 1 1/4 oz Stygian holdings
flavor 1/4 oz each hallertau hers Rucker and Stygian holdings
1 tspn Irish moss
Aroma - same

Yeast 1388
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
hbr2547 said:
16 3/4 lbs Belgian 2 row pilsner malt
18 oz belgian cara-Munich malt
8 oz aromatic malt
7 oz biscuit malt
4 oz special b malt
2 oz chocolate malt
1 lb Belgian clear cndi sugar
4 oz Belgian amber candy sugar
6 oz malt dextrin

Bittering - 1 1/4 oz Stygian holdings
flavor 1/4 oz each hallertau hers Rucker and Stygian holdings
1 tspn Irish moss
Aroma - same

Yeast 1388
Sorry - iPhone changed various words that I didn't proof - aroma same as flavor less Irish moss and wyeast 1388. Bittering at beg of boil - flavor after 45 mins then aroma after 13 mins - boil 2 more then chill and pitch
 

Sheldon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
54
Location
woodbridge, va
thanks folks. On the list now. Just brewed a Nugget Nectar clone (3rd one). We had an amazing 96% efficiency. Is that possible? I am used to around 72-75%. OG was estimated at 1.060, came in at 1.078, and of course it tasted pretty darn good.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
hbr2547 said:
Finished brewing this beer last night. My og came out around 1.19 vs set at 1.107. Hopefully this brew turns out great - no bubbles in the airlock yet but anxiously awaiting!
Vigorously bubbling since mid Sunday - not at 85 degrees but mid 70's...
 

smyrnaquince

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
667
Reaction score
28
Location
Concord
thanks folks. On the list now. Just brewed a Nugget Nectar clone (3rd one). We had an amazing 96% efficiency. Is that possible? I am used to around 72-75%. OG was estimated at 1.060, came in at 1.078, and of course it tasted pretty darn good.
Sugar extraction efficiencies are 100%. You have to allow for them. Calculate the maximum possible points for your grains (without the sugars and syrups). Then calculate the points in your wort (taking into account the volume). Subtract the points for the sugar/syrup. Now divide this number (extracted points) by the maximum possible points. This will give you your extraction efficiency from your grains.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
hbr2547 said:
Vigorously bubbling since mid Sunday - not at 85 degrees but mid 70's...
Just took a gravity reading after week one - down to 1.03 - as I was significantly over og - what should I expect for fg? Clone states 1.022 - will it get tht low still?
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
hbr2547 said:
Just took a gravity reading after week one - down to 1.03 - as I was significantly over og - what should I expect for fg? Clone states 1.022 - will it get tht low still?
Just tried 2 weeks after bottling.....wow, much flavor. Definitely needs time to mellow but will be brewing for sure again!!!!!!
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
hbr2547 said:
Just tried 2 weeks after bottling.....wow, much flavor. Definitely needs time to mellow but will be brewing for sure again!!!!!!


image-815442676.jpg

Anxious - tried another and love!!!
 
Top