Belgian Dark Strong Ale Westvleteren 12 Clone - Multiple Award Winner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I hope there is acceptance in this forum thread for a little water discussion? Was such a great read, though it has been a while since my first read-through.

It seems trappist breweries alter the profile of their municipal water supply. So, in the example of the municipal water report of Chimay, which in ppm/l and ml/l is:
70 calcium, 21 sulfate, 21 chloride, 7 magnesium, 7 sodium, 216 bicarbonate

Look at the insane level (?) of bicarbonate? All of the trappist breweries have this similar high level of bicarbonate.. From what I've read this far, bicarbonate results in an increased alkalinity in your mash, which makes it tougher to affect pH up and down, in this case a lot, further resulting the need of a lot of acid (or other means) to get from say 5,5 pH down to 5,2-4 pH. High levels of alkalinity is great for brewing dark beers, but not for light beers, which our Westy mash is.

I assume when Chimay brew with their local water they reduce their bicarbonate levels by some method first? Maybe using pickling lime a.k.a. calcium hydroxide to precipitate out the excess bicarbonate? It can be boiled out as well to some degree, 2/3rds or something.

Further, if one is to follow John Palmers recommendations for minimum sulfate and chloride levels in brewing water taken from his book "Water - a comprehensive guide for brewers, " , chloride and sulfate needs to be at a minimum of 50 ppm to start have an effect on the perceived flavours in beer. According to Palmer, brewing water typically has 50-250 ppm of sulfate and 0-250 ppm of chloride. And furthermore, one should have double amount of chlorides to sulfates in order to give a sense of fullness to malt-forward beers.

70 ppm of calcium seems ok? There is a recommended "minimum" of 50 ppm there as well, stabilizing the enzymes in the alpha amylase range, aiding in protein coagulation which helps the lauter run off, and also benefiting the yeast flocculation. The problem for me with the chimay water profile looks to be that when you have low levels of sulfate and chloride but ok levels of calcium, adding calciumsulfate and calciumchloride to increase your levels of chloride and sulfate would bring your calcium levels up to 140-170 ppm.
Recommended range is between 50-150 ppm calcium for brewing water.

Any input in understanding this particular municipal water profile from Chimay and what to do with it? What would be a good target profile for a belgian dark strong ale? If I have misunderstood something then feel very free to correct. I've just begun to read about water in beer brewing.

Last edited:
I brewed Westy 12 for the first time, 30 liters. Finally. Wyeast 3787. It's in the fermentation fridge now in two 22 liter carboys, going at it on the third day at 23 degrees celcius/73,4F. I'm regulating the wort temperature manually with an InkBird temperature controller. The temperature probe is taped and insulated to the surface of a plastic carboy and then I'm just regulating the air around it, ramping the wort temperature up manually one degree celcius a day basically until I reach 26 degrees celcius/78,8F at around 7 days in.

I aimed for this water profile:
Calcium 70, sulfate 50, chloride 102, magnesium 11, bicarbonate 36.

Residual alkalinity was low. Mash-in PH at 20 minutes came in at 5,45 after having added minerals for the mash. I wanted to get to around 5,25pH So I added 6 grams of lactic acid at 80%, which was too much. Mash pH went down to 5,1pH immediately. Added in 1,7g sodiumBicarbonate to increase pH and alkalinity, then mash pH came in at 5,2pH at 50 minutes. Will be much more careful with the lactic acid next time.

Larger issues: I came in at OG1080 due to a malfunctioning cirkulation pump right at the beginning of the mash (had to both cirkulate and control mash temperature by hand for 1,5 hours whilst taking PH-readings and adjusting for minerals. A HEAVY workload) paired with adding too much sparge water and not compensating with enough boiltime. Mash temperature was between 63C and 66C for 1,5 hours and mostly at 64-65C) Need to adjust and improve on these issues the next time this is brewed. And there will be a next time, as it feels very rewarding trying to get better and better at the many different challenges of this brewing process.

Here's my experimental fermentation setup for preventing the expected and extreme krausen blow-off whilst simultaneously re-introducing the krausen yeast cells back in to the fermenter. Was trusting on gravity to do the job, as was pointed out somewhere in this thread. Setup seems to be working but I was expecting a more aggressive krausen than this though. Didn't topcrop the wyeast 3787, but I have pitched about 444 billion cells coming from both a 5 liter yeast starter on stirrer and one extra smackpack of 3787 at yeast pitch. Oxygenated 30 liters of OG1080 wort with pure oxygen for 1 minute.

DSC_1016.JPG
DSC_1015.JPG
DSC_1017.JPG

Last edited:
I have a dumb question but could I ferment this beer under pressure using a conical? 1. Would that help with the blowoff and loosing yeast. 2. Would this cause to much stress to the yeast?

How are folks brewing this in a conical? I have a Spike CF5 which has a 7 gallon capacity. Would 5 gallons be pushing this?

How are folks brewing this in a conical? I have a Spike CF5 which has a 7 gallon capacity. Would 5 gallons be pushing this?

Maybe under a little pressure, but then you should probably reduce the pressure to zero and ramp temperature up after high krausen to avoid inhibiting the yeast activity with excess dissolved CO2. I fermented 5 gal in an 8.5 gal Spiedel fermenter and I had krausen to the airlock. It was insane.

Fingers crossed guys, I'm brewing the recipe in the first post tomorrow. I will be deploying with the USMC for a year, so I won't be tempted to touch it until early 2020 so this is the perfect time for me to try this one out.
Semper Fi

Fingers crossed guys, I'm brewing the recipe in the first post tomorrow. I will be deploying with the USMC for a year, so I won't be tempted to touch it until early 2020 so this is the perfect time for me to try this one out.
Semper Fi

Thank you for your service Sir!!! May the beer Gods shine down on your creation!

Thank you for your service Sir!!! May the beer Gods shine down on your creation!
It came in a little north of my target, 1.103! It's only been a few hours and there is already crazy activity. I'm fermenting 5 gallons in a 14 gal Chronical and there is tons of airlock activity!

Brewing this again over the Christmas holidays. Aiming to brew it once a year then age for 1 year. Have sampled some of the ones I brewed in January and it's pretty good but still lots of room for improvement. I've definitely gotten better as a brewer in the last year and also got a Grainfather so without going through this whole thread what would be the best stepped mash to use for this to maximize potential?

Planning on this to be made in March for my birthday. Absolutely love this beer! Probably because I haven't made a bad batch yet. All of my brew buds love it so that feels good. Last batch is over a year ago and I only have a 12 pack left.

I’m waiting on the weather to warm up because my conical is in the garage. I have a homemade glycol chiller but this beer needs to hit the 75 + range to ferment out. I have a Leffe clone going right now and at 69 at the moment but having a hard time keeping it steady and warm.

I’m going to give this beer a go this spring!

Brewed this clone about 8 months ago and finally cracked it open. I compared it to staples of the style including westy 12. The pictures with the the ones that were drank the most should tell you which were the favorites :)

Some quick notes (not official BJCP haha):

Westy 12 - best balanced, bread aroma perfect blend between raisin and plum but not overpowering slight cherry and balanced flavor.

Homebrew - I over cooked the portion you draw off in the original recipe so it had a burnt chocolate chip cookie aroma (not stout like but that’s the best descriptor) and a smooth bread flavor. The aftertaste was very reminiscent of westy. If I didn’t overcook it - the flavor and aroma would have been pretty close to westy, probably the closest clone recipe I’ve ever done.

Chimay - strong Belgian phenols and esters. Raisin flavors

St bern 12 - strong raisin and Belgian phenols similar to chimay grande reserve. Smoother flavor than chimay

Rochefort 10 - least enjoyable. Malty caramel/banana aroma. Strong alcohol and burnt plum flavor.

Thanks for sharing everyone and cheers [emoji482]

IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG

I have done the D-180 version the last three times I brewed this. The initial batch used the adjunct laden version. I love both, but the adjunct version had more of the dark fruit character.

I will try that initial recipe for my next attempt!

I’m waiting on the weather to warm up because my conical is in the garage. I have a homemade glycol chiller but this beer needs to hit the 75 + range to ferment out. I have a Leffe clone going right now and at 69 at the moment but having a hard time keeping it steady and warm.

I’m going to give this beer a go this spring!

Thick cardboard box and a cheap ceramic heater works wonders.

Brewed this clone about 8 months ago and finally cracked it open. I compared it to staples of the style including westy 12. The pictures with the the ones that were drank the most should tell you which were the favorites :)

Westy 12 - best balanced, bread aroma perfect blend between raisin and plum but not overpowering slight cherry and balanced flavor.

Homebrew - I over cooked the portion you draw off in the original recipe so it had a burnt chocolate chip cookie aroma (not stout like but that’s the best descriptor) and a smooth bread flavor. The aftertaste was very reminiscent of westy. If I didn’t overcook it - the flavor and aroma would have been pretty close to westy, probably the closest clone recipe I’ve ever done.

St bern 12 - strong raisin and Belgian phenols similar to chimay grande reserve. Smoother flavor than chimay

Rochefort 10 - least enjoyable. Malty caramel/banana aroma. Strong alcohol and burnt plum flavor.

View attachment 615379View attachment 615380
Beer looks great but your woofers need re-coning!

View attachment 615379View attachment 615380
Small momentary hijack of the thread here. Couldn't help but notice the Cerwin Vega speakers. I have a similar model that fell apart around the surround of the woofer. Bought a kit from Simply Speakers. Real easy to fix and cheaper than new! If you're interested here is a link to the website. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-repair-foam-edge-kits.html
Back to beer. Can't wait to try a clone of Westy 12! Love those Trappist! Making me thirsty!

Crazy! Anyone happen to ferment this in a 7 gal conical? I have the Spike CF5, I’d hate to brew less than 5 gallons and tie up my only fermenter for 2 months! I have two glass carboys as well, but can only control temp in the conical.

Crazy! Anyone happen to ferment this in a 7 gal conical? I have the Spike CF5, I’d hate to brew less than 5 gallons and tie up my only fermenter for 2 months! I have two glass carboys as well, but can only control temp in the conical.
You only need to keep it in the fermenter for no more than about 2 weeks. After that, just rack it into a 5 gallon carboy. I racked mine from the fermenter to a carboy on the 12th day.

You only need to keep it in the fermenter for no more than about 2 weeks. After that, just rack it into a 5 gallon carboy. I racked mine from the fermenter to a carboy on the 12th day.

Mine took about 3-4 weeks to reach stable gravity and I was glad I didn't remove it from the yeast any earlier. I then racked to a keg for bulk aging and then bottling.

Use Fermcap, but still plan for blow-off and don't rack to a carboy until you have hit stable gravity or you may increase the chance of stalling by leaving active yeast behind. You can also bulk-age in a keg instead of a carboy.

I picked up the ingredients to make the single malt version with D-180 candy syrup, but I have a question. Are people also doing the separate boil down of .75 gallon first runnings with the single malt version or is that overkill?

Small momentary hijack of the thread here. Couldn't help but notice the Cerwin Vega speakers. I have a similar model that fell apart around the surround of the woofer. Bought a kit from Simply Speakers. Real easy to fix and cheaper than new! If you're interested here is a link to the website. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/cerwin-vega-speaker-repair-foam-edge-kits.html
Back to beer. Can't wait to try a clone of Westy 12! Love those Trappist! Making me thirsty!

Hahaha i love the internet. Thanks bud!

I picked up the ingredients to make the single malt version with D-180 candy syrup, but I have a question. Are people also doing the separate boil down of .75 gallon first runnings with the single malt version or is that overkill?

I am curious also!

Thanks Kee! How long are you aging this beer?

If I had to pick a window (and this is completely arbitrary), between 6 and 9 months this beer really shines. I personally drink it along the way, as it's a quality beer after 2 or 3 months. YMMV, depending on process, storage temperatures (I store mine at room temperature), etc.

My 2016 brew is tasting great.... except that it never fully carbonated in the bottles. Time to re-yeast and see if it can be resuscitated. Might toss in some active Brett in half of the bottles and active wine yeast (DV10 or EC1118) in the other half as an experiment. Nothing to lose at this point.

Ebay seems to have 6-packs for around US$50 plus shipping - typical grey market retail in Belgium was around €10-12 last time I was there, I've seen fridges of it in London bars at £30 (~US$40) in the past.

But save yourself the bother, just drink some Rochefort 10 and imagine something not quite as nice.... ;)

Excellent thread ( I'm Belgian :) ) Is the wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity a good candidate for that recipe ?

I made a Leffe Blonde Ale Clone and used WLP530 and thought it put out the perfect amount of esters. I was also blown away by the amount of blow off I had too. This yeast is a monster!

As far as I can see I can get golden syrup, maple syrup or molasses syrup. I can also get a range of different honeys. I know they won't come close to candi syrup and i know what that means for the end result.

What is likely to give me the best result out of those options (in bold)?

You can caramelize any sugar, honey, or syrup in the manner listed in the threads above. I've had awesome luck with caramelized honey in several beers.

Molasses may have too strong a flavor and I think that golden syrup is just a light sugar syrup. I'd not waste effort and expense caramelizing maple syrup, but it could definitely add some nice flavors to this beer.

Ok so I am planning on brewing this beer next weekend. I am going with 8lbs each of MO/Pilsner and 3 packs of D-180.

My LHBS only had one pack of WLP530 from February 5th which expires in Aug. What is the ideal step up process to get this yeast up to 350 B cells over a weeks time? I know yeast health is the most important part of this beer. I only one have one 2L flask.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Back