American IPA West Coast-ish IPA/Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You liked the Munich better than Vienna? Did it stand out more with no crystal
Munich was maltier than Vienna alone. Munich without Crystal stood out more than Vienna and Crystal together.

To me Crystal gives more of a fake malty sweetness, and Munich is a drier malty flavor, if that makes any sense.

I’ll add to the thread that I know for a fact most of current best breweries are putting out 100% Pilsner wcipa or 95% Pilsner 5% character. Had a really awesome convo with one of the best in the hop game and he models his after a huge name west coast brewery that they’ve collab’d with and that’s the current trend in the style.

I’ll add to the thread that I know for a fact most of current best breweries are putting out 100% Pilsner wcipa or 95% Pilsner 5% character. Had a really awesome convo with one of the best in the hop game and he models his after a huge name west coast brewery that they’ve collab’d with and that’s the current trend in the style.
Good stuff. I shared this beer with a local brewery that we had our beer meeting at last Wednesday, and it won beer of the night. The head brewer/owner says he thought it came right from a commercial tank. The feedback was almost overwhelming!

Slice & North Park brewers discuss all/nearly pils malt in their wcipa in recent podcast interviews. You folks see the North Park recipe in recent CB&B issue?

6CABE170-162C-4750-A6E3-9337F08F482F.png

Good stuff. I shared this beer with a local brewery that we had our beer meeting at last Wednesday, and it won beer of the night. The head brewer/owner says he thought it came right from a commercial tank. The feedback was almost overwhelming!
That’s awesome man! I know plenty of breweries that don’t make beer as well as you!

That’s awesome man! I know plenty of breweries that don’t make beer as well as you!
It was insane. I poured him a glass, and he grabbed it and walked away to pour more beer for guests. He smelled it and turned around and was like, "Holy s%$! Whose beer is this? Who gave me this?!" Everyone got quiet and I raised my hand, and he said it tasted like it came from a commercial tank. I was shocked but extremely psyched.

It's less West Coast in IBU than most other WCIPA, but I wanted to paint the picture of it being more amber and more bitter than a NEIPA. If you crank the IBU up to about 70, it would fit right in. I'll get there, but I'm still experimenting with the recipe. I'll probably drop a lb of 2 Row and add in another lb of Munich. Or maybe some Biscuit/Victory.

Well congrats on that. I don’t know if I’d like all pils as another suggested but this sounds good. I find Vienna bready and Munich malty sweet so either is good depending on what you like. I made a 2-row pale ale recently with a bunch of Columbus and zero crystal and loved it.

Well congrats on that. I don’t know if I’d like all pils as another suggested but this sounds good. I find Vienna bready and Munich malty sweet so either is good depending on what you like. I made a 2-row pale ale recently with a bunch of Columbus and zero crystal and loved it.
I tend to agree. I'm sure it would turn out fine, but I think a 50/50 Pils 2 Row would be a good place to start.

I need to try Columbus and the other Cs in this recipe. Hoping to pick up some Cascade tomorrow!

I brew a WC IPA at a smaller commercial level, and use 86% Weyermann Extra Pale Premium Pils and 14% Weyermann Vienna. 6% ABV, 60 IBU, 4 SRM, Chinook and Simcoe at all stages, mash water is adjusted to around 200 ppm CaSO4, 80 ppm CaCl2, 120+ ppm Ca, mash pH 5.4. I dislike crystal malts in anything where hops are showcased. Vienna malt is in there to slightly adjust the colour, but I will definitely go lighter with the next recipe. There is really no breadiness or maltiness to speak of in this beer.

a90d69705c7bcae4ca2a53043c212da8_640x640.jpg

I think 100% Pilsner malt would be fine, probably better than adding Vienna, Munich, Crystal malts, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry to derail OP - I love WCIPA, probably my favorite style. I recently brewed the Green Cheek West Coast IPA is Dead clone from Craft Beer and Brewing. It's 100% pils which I was nervous about it being too thin, so I did 95% Pils and 5 % Carafoam and it's absolutely amazing. The malt holds up to the heavy hoping no problem, and none of that weird caramel/candy sweetness you get from adding crystal malts.

I'm going to do 100% Pils next time.

I think with the higher ABV (7.2%) it creates a really nice sweetness/mouthfeel that holds up to heavy hopping rates.

My house WCIPA has both Vienna and Munich in it. I ferment it with 007 and still love the recipe. I get your love for the Munich. I remember when Sierra used to brew Anniversary Ale. Man that brew was fantastic. That beer made me use Munich in my recipe. It started w crystal and it followed your moves. I know I’ve brewed it 20 times. I enjoy some Haze, but really love WCIPA. Just finished a Stone 😍while I typed.

My house WCIPA has both Vienna and Munich in it. I ferment it with 007 and still love the recipe. I get your love for the Munich. I remember when Sierra used to brew Anniversary Ale. Man that brew was fantastic. That beer made me use Munich in my recipe. It started w crystal and it followed your moves. I know I’ve brewed it 20 times. I enjoy some Haze, but really love WCIPA. Just finished a Stone 😍while I typed.
Thanks for the feedback. This recipe is still a work in progress, but it produces quite an easy drinker! I love Munich in the grist. Forget the crystal lol. I'm going to make this again with more Munich. Then I'll start experimenting with DHing.

My original that dates back to 2011 had 15% Vienna and 17% Munich. I won multiple golds with that, when it was easier to win.
My next batch I just weighed has 8% Munich and 6% Vienna. Once I reduced these, I never won again. Maybe there is something to more Munich.

My original that dates back to 2011 had 15% Vienna and 17% Munich.
Interesting, I always felt they were pretty similar. Sounds like a lot in total but can't say for sure as I haven't tried it.

I do feel like my Pale Ales tend to do better with no Munich, keep them cleaner. But IPA's tend to taste better with some Munich in them, 10 - 15% is about where I've landed. I try for a little more maltiness to balance out the additional hops. A little more crystal in the IPA as well (40L, not 60 or higher). I'm not saying all beers are this way or that anyone should do this, but it's become my preference.

Brewed up yet another version of this 10/6/2022 with Magnum for bittering and Simcoe in the boil. Still no dry hop. Fermenter smells great. Hoping to keg next week. This beer is becoming a staple in my keezer <3

simcoe.png

The Simcoe has been in the keg since last Thursday, and it's TASTY. A little pine, but very citrusy. Can't say for certain if I prefer it to the Citra/Mosaic version, but the base beer recipe is fantastic. So versatile.

Check this video out for some great info if you haven't seen it already. Backs up the heavy pils malt bills. I've brewed a few based on this and it's been really good.

I brew a WC IPA at a smaller commercial level, and use 86% Weyermann Extra Pale Premium Pils and 14% Weyermann Vienna. 6% ABV, 60 IBU, 4 SRM, Chinook and Simcoe at all stages, mash water is adjusted to around 200 ppm CaSO4, 80 ppm CaCl2, 120+ ppm Ca, mash pH 5.4. I dislike crystal malts in anything where hops are showcased. Vienna malt is in there to slightly adjust the colour, but I will definitely go lighter with the next recipe. There is really no breadiness or maltiness to speak of in this beer.

View attachment 781459

I think 100% Pilsner malt would be fine, probably better than adding Vienna, Munich, Crystal malts, etc.
Hahahaha, if I wouldn't know better, I'd say that you've copied my concept of a nice IPA. This is almost 100% the way I would have brewed this ... Although, I probably would have used 20-30% Vienna. But the rest would be exactly the same. My favourite hop combo!

Hahahaha, if I wouldn't know better, I'd say that you've copied my concept of a nice IPA. This is almost 100% the way I would have brewed this ... Although, I probably would have used 20-30% Vienna. But the rest would be exactly the same. My favourite hop combo!

Might´as well be just that... I've sampled enough WC IPAs, to have a feeling about what I would like to brew and sell to people. Sure, hazy IPAs are still the first choice for many, but I've managed to brew this beer since July last year and it still sells, which tells me that are still lots of beer drinkers, that will have a West Coast. Regarding Vienna malt: I'm a fan, especially in a Vienna Lager or anything malty. In retrospect, I think I could've dropped it altogether. I now believe in using light/very light base malts for anything IPA.

I think for the next batch I'm going to add Vienna back in. Maybe go 50/50 Vienna Munich. I really do prefer Munich to Vienna in this recipe, if I was to choose 1 over the other, but maybe a blend will add something special. Not sold on Pils vs 2 Row as a base just yet, but I will try in the future!

Might´as well be just that... I've sampled enough WC IPAs, to have a feeling about what I would like to brew and sell to people. Sure, hazy IPAs are still the first choice for many, but I've managed to brew this beer since July last year and it still sells, which tells me that are still lots of beer drinkers, that will have a West Coast. Regarding Vienna malt: I'm a fan, especially in a Vienna Lager or anything malty. In retrospect, I think I could've dropped it altogether. I now believe in using light/very light base malts for anything IPA.
Best beers are simple beers and this is what this one is. All these fancy something hazy breakfast whatnot beers are just small hickups that come and go with time. The solid and simple beers are going to stay.

Sometimes I enjoy something exotic. But only sometimes and not many at a time. A really well done no nonsense beer is something I can enjoy almost always.... And a lot of :D.

I think for the next batch I'm going to add Vienna back in. Maybe go 50/50 Vienna Munich. I really do prefer Munich to Vienna in this recipe, if I was to choose 1 over the other, but maybe a blend will add something special. Not sold on Pils vs 2 Row as a base just yet, but I will try in the future!
For a more obvious synergy between malt and hops, Munich and / or Vienna would be a great choice. Even though crystal malts can work in this style, I would still avoid it, due to the simple fact that ( for me personally ) they seem to accelerate the perception of age. Not an issue in some darker styles.

Should you wish to try a different sort of base malt, give Simpsons Imperial a go. I've used it a few times ( although not in hoppy beers ) and I like it quite a lot. It's intense, so 10% would be noticeable, I would think. At 20% you know for sure it's there. :)

For a more obvious synergy between malt and hops, Munich and / or Vienna would be a great choice. Even though crystal malts can work in this style, I would still avoid it, due to the simple fact that ( for me personally ) they seem to accelerate the perception of age. Not an issue in some darker styles.

Should you wish to try a different sort of base malt, give Simpsons Imperial a go. I've used it a few times ( although not in hoppy beers ) and I like it quite a lot. It's intense, so 10% would be noticeable, I would think. At 20% you know for sure it's there. :)
I absolutely prefer to leave out Crystal of this recipe. I'll take a look into Simpson's Imperial. Thanks
I think I'm gonna brew this beer using chinook for bittering then citra and cascade the rest of the way. I have a lot of these hops on hand and hoping it will be a decent combo.
That will make a killer beer. I too have a ton of hops on hand that I'm slowly making my way through. I'm rather ashamed I've never tried Cascade, but it's on the list!!

Brewing this up today. Today's tweak was dropping 1lb of 2 Row and adding in another pound of Munich. Color looks AWESOME.

Today's recipe:
9# 2 Row
3# Munich
0.75# Carafoam
1.056 OG
US05
Citra/Mosaic 20 min, 10 min, 0 min. Going to dry hop this one as well. First time dry hopping this beer. 1.5oz Citra/1.5oz Mosaic @50F for 48 hours.

Brewing this up today. Today's tweak was dropping 1lb of 2 Row and adding in another pound of Munich. Color looks AWESOME.

Today's recipe:
9# 2 Row
3# Munich
0.75# Carafoam
1.056 OG
US05
Citra/Mosaic 20 min, 10 min, 0 min. Going to dry hop this one as well. First time dry hopping this beer. 1.5oz Citra/1.5oz Mosaic @50F for 48 hours.
How did it turn out?

How did it turn out?
Kegged it 2 days ago. I skipped the DH, as I didn't want to change too many variables all at once. It's currently carbing and conditioning. I didn't have a chance to do a cold crash prior to kegging, so it's still pretty cloudy. I sampled some last night, and it's really great. I love the added Munich and the extra IBU. Won't have a full answer until later this week or next week. I'm entering it into a competition next Fri the 17th to be judged on the 19th!

I just so happened to brew a similar IPA to these a couple of weeks ago and found this thread a couple of days after brewing it. I used:
84.9% Briess Pale Ale Malt
6.1% Briess Carapils
6.1% Dextrose
3% BESTMALZ Munich

And used CTZ t90 and Lupomax, Simcoe t90, Cascade, and Mosaic Incognito for an estimated 77 IBUs

Fermented with 2 packs of BRY-97

My LHBS over milled my grains and really put my Anvil Foundry to the test. They soaked up way more water than estimated and life got in the way (just had our fourth kid) and I didn’t sparge with enough water so I ended up with an OG of 1.082 and an FG of 1.011 which calculates to 9.3% ABV when I was planning for around 7.5% 😆

Overall, this was a great first attempt at a West Coast IPA I’ve been craving. It reminds me of DFH 90 Minute but a bit more fruity and a little less malty which I’m down with! The clarity isn’t half bad either. The 5 day cold crash at 33F helped a lot. Anyways, I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread and will attempt another version soon hopefully hitting my OG next time. Probably going with a CTZ, Citra, Nelson one next.
D08BBF44-790D-446B-BFF8-0424FF8CC18D.jpeg

I just so happened to brew a similar IPA to these a couple of weeks ago and found this thread a couple of days after brewing it. I used:
84.9% Briess Pale Ale Malt
6.1% Briess Carapils
6.1% Dextrose
3% BESTMALZ Munich

And used CTZ t90 and Lupomax, Simcoe t90, Cascade, and Mosaic Incognito for an estimated 77 IBUs

Fermented with 2 packs of BRY-97

My LHBS over milled my grains and really put my Anvil Foundry to the test. They soaked up way more water than estimated and life got in the way (just had our fourth kid) and I didn’t sparge with enough water so I ended up with an OG of 1.082 and an FG of 1.011 which calculates to 9.3% ABV when I was planning for around 7.5% 😆

Overall, this was a great first attempt at a West Coast IPA I’ve been craving. It reminds me of DFH 90 Minute but a bit more fruity and a little less malty which I’m down with! The clarity isn’t half bad either. The 5 day cold crash at 33F helped a lot. Anyways, I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread and will attempt another version soon hopefully hitting my OG next time. Probably going with a CTZ, Citra, Nelson one next. View attachment 812473
Looks good. I have that same style glass. LOL. I might put your percentages into Brewfather and see what I come up with. I am assuming a 5 gallon batch or so. Gonna adjust the OG down though, that high and ABV is a bit higher than I like. Either way, looks good.

Kegged it 2 days ago. I skipped the DH, as I didn't want to change too many variables all at once. It's currently carbing and conditioning. I didn't have a chance to do a cold crash prior to kegging, so it's still pretty cloudy. I sampled some last night, and it's really great. I love the added Munich and the extra IBU. Won't have a full answer until later this week or next week. I'm entering it into a competition next Fri the 17th to be judged on the 19th!
*bump*

Just wondering if you had a "favorite" version of this recipe, or if you're still tweaking things...

*bump*

Just wondering if you had a "favorite" version of this recipe, or if you're still tweaking things...
Still haven't dry hopped it yet, but I feel like it would help a lot. Didn't score great in the comp, but that's because it's kind of in between styles. I feel like it can handle another 10-20 ibu no problem. Keep Munich at 15% or under.

Back