West Coast IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boru

Reaction score
So perhaps this is a Neophyte question, but what's the difference between a "west coast" IPA and an American IPA? Is there one? I admit that I ask out of ignorance and as someone who likes a nice fresh IPA (personal favorite would probably be 3 Floyds Dreadnaught, but I enjoy DFH 60 as well) and merely wondering as I've seen some "West Coast" Ipa's lately that don't seem to be distinguishable from some of the American IPA's I've had and enjoyed. Perhaps it's just my palate? So I thought I'd ask here and see what the collective turns up.

In my opinion, "West Coast" IPA's use pretty much exclusively "C" hops, have a drier finish, and more late hop additions....

My sense is that it is a fad thing...which will pass in time as things even out. Is there a Midwest IPA, a Southern, Northern, or East Coast one?

At one time they may have been one dimensional one or two hop in your face varieties ie: Torpedo or Arrogant Bastard, (A fave) but now encompass complex IIPA's like the Double Jack with Warrior, Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe. I rotate between a Arrogant Bastard Clone and the Double Jack myself.
Fortunate to live down the street from the Firestone Brewery and they are very helpful with the advice.

Back