Went with a large enclosure. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deprecated

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The local hardware store was selling these. The rubber seal is in good shape and I'm hoping it has a rating of "Waterproof enough.". :)

I am looking for some ideas on the front or face of it. Right now I'm guessing it will be easiest for mounting the electronics if I cut out the raised portion on the lid and replace it (and seal) with a flat surface.

Any suggestions on what I could use for that that is easily acquired (thinking plexiglass ATM)?

Also this is 12"D x 18.5"W x 30"T. Obviously more space than required for a Kal type build.

For those of you that have completed your enclosures, is there anything you can think of for use of the additional space that you'd like to add to yours?

enclosure1.jpg

enclosure2.jpg

From my experience having a door on a hinge was helpful during wiring. Might think about that as it appears your going to have to reengineer that door a fair amount. You are definitely upping the project ante with that box if you are into that sort of thing :D

I went with a digital picture frame on my control panel and use my brewery logo as the displayed image. It also has a digital clock on it which has proved to be suprisingly useful even though I also have an auber timer.
With the extra space you could always upgrade to the bigger auber PIDs. 1/4 DIN instead of 1/16. Also HBT user "Badnewsbrewery" designed a pretty cool LED back lit logo that was looked great. As far as the real functional stuff I think Kal covers it pretty well, but there are a ton of extra bells and whistles you could add to the mix depending on what your looking for and want to spend.

In saying that, I bet you will find that the real estate will fill up faster than you think once you play around with a layout.

I liked the digital picture frame idea, and you could add pictures of the steps in your process too. That way it's a quick reminder of where the hoses should be and were switches should be. That might be really helpful the first few times you brew. You could also put your brew sheet on it

A touchscreen monitor springs to mind.

I would echo the previous point about the door hinge. You'll have to consider cable management quite carefully.

Back