Went to Vegas...infection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FnBeerTime

Reaction score
Hey all,

I went to Vegas for a week and before I left I uplugged my kegerator not thinking about the beer inside. When I got back there was a little bit of mold inside of the fridge. My question is, has the beer in my keg been compromised? I guess seeing mold in the fridge makes me think my beer could have been infected. Also, I use a picnic tap right now, can the line be infected if the beer in keg isn't? Thanks!

The beer in the keg is fine. As far as the lines, just dump the first couple ounces to get rid of the old beer that was in the lines, and you'll be good there too

I would guess the beer would be fine. It is in a keg, under CO2 pressure. Just cool it back down and give it a taste.

And, I am sorry for the bad joke, but I am guessing you are not the first person who spent a week in Vegas, and then worried about an infection.

Mike

Hahaha, sorry guys, wanted to draw some attention. Thanks for the replies, I will pour a cold one and let you know how it tastes!!

Personally, I have made it a habit to disassemble my picnic tap and clean it regularly. 4 to 6 weeks tops. First time I did it was a furry mess. That was after I had disconnected it, rinsed it pretty well (I thought), and stored it at room temp for a few weeks.
Needless to say, I tear it down and fully wash in PBW now.

Hmmm....well, I poured out about 1/4 cup and poured a glass. Tastes as close as i remember it tasting, a little over carbed with big bubbles but good!!!

Back