Went away for a little while and....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
What is up with all this orange juice looking beer that's called NE IPA? It seems that's what the majority of the country, USA, is drinking and I really don't understand it. All my homebrewing life I've wanted clear beer and a bitter IPA. These NE beers are none of that. They're not bitter and they're not clear whatsoever.
Call me what you want but I cannot wait until this craze is over. I really do not get what all the hype is about. I've had a few of these beers and I just don't understand. They taste like juice not beer. Blah. Help me understand what happened to real beer and a real IPA?
Can't stand the way they look, can't stand the way they taste, and I can't stand that we're drinking beer out of wine glasses now. How much more pretentious can beer get? Am I just getting old and stuck in my traditional ways?
Now get off my lawn! Hahaha.

This is all in good fun btw even though I'm sincerely confused.

I'm with you on the NEIPA, to each their own - if you enjoy it, great. But its not my cup o' tea.

Completely disagree with you about the wine glasses though. Don't want to drink every beer out of a wine glass, but sometimes I love drinking beer out of a stemmed glass whose shape concentrates the aromas - like a wine glass.

And welcome back!

People probably said the same thing about American/West Coast IPA's or whatever new "style" of beer it is of the day.

There's a ton of new technology around hops - breeding, processing, etc so it just makes sense that something would come out of that.

Beer is very subjective so no issues not liking a certain beer or style but you have to respect what you may think is weird or out of the ordinary and see where people are coming from.

Just wait till you find out about sours, lol. ;) :eek:

I've had a few sours! Haha. My buddy used to mail me the Russian river sours and I thought they were ok. Not my thing mostly but I have had some I like.

People probably said the same thing about American/West Coast IPA's or whatever new "style" of beer it is of the day.

There's a ton of new technology around hops - breeding, processing, etc so it just makes sense that something would come out of that.

Beer is very subjective so no issues not liking a certain beer or style but you have to respect what you may think is weird or out of the ordinary and see where people are coming from.

Best part about the hobby is it is totally subjective. Not hating on anyone who digs a certain style or anything like that. I think the more styles the better! I just don't get the obsession with the NE beers is all.

I think NEIPAs are delicious but can't down them like I do a nice dry and bitter west coaster. The clarity isnt a big deal to me. Have you ever had the ones that basically look like OJ? I think they're quite nice looking. The general murkiness some have isn't very appealing.

I'm with you on the NEIPA, to each their own - if you enjoy it, great. But its not my cup o' tea.

Completely disagree with you about the wine glasses though. Don't want to drink every beer out of a wine glass, but sometimes I love drinking beer out of a stemmed glass whose shape concentrates the aromas - like a wine glass.

And welcome back!

Thanks man!
I can get the snifter/tulip glass but what's the difference between those and a wine stem glass? I guess I might just have to try it and see!

According to some reporters, they're controversial:

Irvine’s five-barrel system will allow Left Coast to produce more small batch beers including Hazy IPAs, a controversial style of pale ale that is exploding in popularity. These cloudy IPAs are more aromatic and less hoppy than a filtered IPA.

I think the controversy is calling them "more aromatic and less hoppy". Uhh, those aromas come from the hops!

I think NEIPAs are delicious but can't down them like I do a nice dry and bitter west coaster. The clarity isnt a big deal to me. Have you ever had the ones that basically look like OJ? I think they're quite nice looking. The general murkiness some have isn't very appealing.

Yes I've had one like that. It's just not what I'm looking for in a beer. If I want o.j. and alcohol I'll just make a screw driver. It's cheaper! Ha.

As long as we can all agree that saisons are horrendous.

I've never had a saison that I was crazy about. Most have been much too carbonated for my liking. I can see them being refreshing on a hot day though since they're nice and dry.

According to some reporters, they're controversial:

I think the controversy is calling them "more aromatic and less hoppy". Uhh, those aromas come from the hops!

I think they meant to say less bitter. I think pale ale is a much closer to the style than IPA as far as bitterness goes and dryness goes. The srm and abv fits a bjcp ipa style but I think that's mostly it. Looking fwd to the bjcp acknowledging it as a real style but I think it took them a while to include black ipa/cascadian dark ale. Funny how that style never reached the popularity level that NE beers have. Maybe because beer is bigger now than it was then?

I wonder if everywhere else but New England has NEIPA's. Since I have heard about them I have only found 2 in my neck of the woods. One I didn't like, the other was - meh...

I haven't had enough of then to have any opinion, one way or the other. I just can't find them in my area!!

Saisons are another. I brewed one. It was not too much different than any other ale. Maybe just my recipe. I have only seen a couple of commercial ones and they really didn't make an impression on me, one way or another.

I think they meant to say less bitter. I think pale ale is a much closer to the style than IPA as far as bitterness goes and dryness goes. The srm and abv fits a bjcp ipa style but I think that's mostly it. Looking fwd to the bjcp acknowledging it as a real style but I think it took them a while to include black ipa/cascadian dark ale. Funny how that style never reached the popularity level that NE beers have. Maybe because beer is bigger now than it was then?

Yeah, I'm sure that was the intent. I'm actually familiar with the writer and she's just a generic "look what's around town" feature writer, not in any way a "beer" writer. So I'll forgive her for not knowing the difference.

I still find it funny.

I can't keep up with these new brewing movements. The true beer crew is telling me I'm not brewing "true beer." Vile bunch, believe me. Now you come along and drop "real beer!" Im out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=636342

I don't think traditional beer is a new thing. I just mean styles that have been around for a long time. Not sure why the folks you're referring to have to be so vile about it. It's just beer! Ha.

Don't get me wrong I think brewers should keep trying new things and brew what they like to drink. I suppose the other half of my feeling is I just don't get the hype and the trouble a lot of folks go to to get these beers but maybe it's just because it's not magic to me. We are all brewers here and can brew mostly whatever we want so jumping through hoops for a juicy cloudy beer just seems silly to me. Whatever whoever finds enjoyable though!

I've been drinking craft and import beers since the 80's. Started brewing in the 90's. I think I'm an old Fart.

I like NEIPAs. OP...why do you need this "fad" to go away? I'm pretty sure you're not required to brew, buy or drink them.

I've been drinking craft and import beers since the 80's. Started brewing in the 90's. I think I'm an old Fart.

I like NEIPAs. OP...why do you need this "fad" to go away? I'm pretty sure you're not required to brew, buy or drink them.

That's great you like them. I'm happy for you. It's not that I want to see the style go away it's more that I'm just tired of seeing and hearing about it all the time. That's what makes it a fad. Once the next big style comes out that everyone digs we'll all move on to that. Then that one will be my "get off my lawn" beer.
Just creating general beer nerd discussion in a beer nerd general discussion thread. Like I said in the OP. This is just in good fun. :mug:

My vote for "Troll O' The Month Thread" :mug:

fwiw, I'm the Ultimate Curmudgeon (have the badge) but an even 50 gallons of my 2017 production so far has been neipas.

Don't care if it's a "fad", I love 'em...

Cheers!

My vote for "Troll O' The Month Thread" :mug:

fwiw, I'm the Ultimate Curmudgeon (have the badge) but an even 50 gallons of my 2017 production so far has been neipas.

Don't care if it's a "fad", I love 'em...

Cheers!

Haha for sure on the troll of the month thread. I knew when I started the thread it would escalate quickly. Beer geeks at their finest :D

OP I feel the same way about the Gose fad that happened a while back. I too am an old fart, we used to put salt in my dad's Budweiser to make it foam over and mess with him a bit. I've tried one or two at brew festivals and I don't get it. NEIPA's, however....love em. I've done a Pliny clone a time or two and it's the best beer I've ever brewed (also the most expensive in terms of hops). It's like others have said, to each his own and no offense if someone else doesn't like them.

I'm not "all in" on the NEIPA train. But I did have a good time brewing a few. I really like a well done West Coaster. My current go to homebrew is kind of a mix of the two. I think they really each bring something to the table.

I will thank NEIPA's forever for killing the IBU Wars. Now we can focus on the "Juice Wars"!

After taking a trip to Vermont this summer (I live in the Asheville area) and having fresh Heady Topper and several beers from Hillstead Farms, I now get it. I've tried a few of the local renditions and haven't seen or tasted anything close. We stayed in Stowe and the style was quite common.. Good stuff.

Call me a traditionalists. I like beer with malt, hops, yeast and water. Any style you can make with those ingredients I am good with. Nothing else should be in beer. That is just my personal opinion. The great thing about craft beer and Homebrew is drink what you like. Brew what you like. Experiment with any ingredients you like. There is room for everyone's​ preference!

I used to like my IPAs this new way. I never did the murky thing, but when the IBU arms race was in full swing, I would tone down the bittering additions when I brewed to get a little bit less bite with the big hop flavor and aroma still there.

Lately I've been craving the bite, though. So I've got things flipped around!

The normal person who may or may not know beer is what's pushing this as a fad in my opinion. Personally i really enjoy the fruit forward and dankness that some have in this style. I've brewed 3 so far, and my third won me best IPA in the northstate against 11 of the best homebrewers in my area with a crowd of about 300 people. Personally I will Continue to brew them, and enjoy them! Fad or not they are enjoyable and fill a nice niche in the market! Plus anything that continues to allow craft to grow and spread is a good thing in my book! Cheers! View attachment 20171008_143800.jpg

I wonder if everywhere else but New England has NEIPA's. Since I have heard about them I have only found 2 in my neck of the woods. One I didn't like, the other was - meh...

I haven't had enough of then to have any opinion, one way or the other. I just can't find them in my area!!

Saisons are another. I brewed one. It was not too much different than any other ale. Maybe just my recipe. I have only seen a couple of commercial ones and they really didn't make an impression on me, one way or another.

I’m a big fan of saisons. Love the spicy, peppery taste that the yeast imparts. If you are looking for a commercial example, try Saison DuPont if you can find it. I had it on a cruise a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Did you ferment the one you brewed at normal ale temps? Or use heat? I like to use a brew belt set to 80 or 85 degrees F to get the characteristic flavors. If a saison yeast is fermented at normal ale temps, I imagine it could be a pretty bland beer. Anyway, my 2 cents.

I'm not "all in" on the NEIPA train. But I did have a good time brewing a few. I really like a well done West Coaster. My current go to homebrew is kind of a mix of the two. I think they really each bring something to the table.

I will thank NEIPA's forever for killing the IBU Wars. Now we can focus on the "Juice Wars"!

I agree with a mix of the two IPA styles. I like a lot of late hops and dry hops in my beers but I also like a nice IBU bite and bit of clarity. I don't really care if the beer is totally clear but I don't really want it to look like trub either.

I can't keep up with these new brewing movements. The true beer crew is telling me I'm not brewing "true beer." Vile bunch, believe me. Now you come along and drop "real beer!" Im out.

Oh I'm sure there are plenty like me, getting along fine with altbiers and Qhrumphf-ish style English pub ales, watching all the style wars come and go. To each their own. Don't care for Saisons myself, don't care if others love 'em. Those who love Gose are wrong, however. :)

Latest posts

Back