Well water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronhend

Reaction score
I Guys,

I have a cabin that has a well and was thinking of brewing a batch at the cabin.

What would be the concerns using well water to brew?

Thanks,

Ron

I've brewed with well water. If it tastes good it should make good beer. Its going to be boiled for an hour so any nasty's that may be in there will be good and dead :)

If you can drink it, you can brew with it. I've always been on a well and love it. Plus, you don't have to worry about chlorine or anything else that might be in "city water"

Wouldn't hurt to find out the PH and mineral content of your well water, as that could help you make any correction to the water profile that you feel necessary.

G'luck, don't run 'er dry!

I thought my water tasted good until I chased a bad flavor. I have too much rust, even after softening to make good beer. It took many batches to figure it out, however the RO system makes excellent beer. Just a thought. Every well is different.

I like to use my parents well water for dark beers. It's hard as hell. Might not be so good for lighter beers. I'm having it tested next week. I think Residual Alkalinity would be your biggest concern. I'd go for it.

I'm on a well and I just brewed my first batch with the water. It tastes good and has a little calcium in it. The only thing I did was run it through a carbon filter. All my prior batches were bottled water. I brewed a Blue Moon clone and am anxious to see how it tastes. We'll see in a few weeks.

Back