well this really sux!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revrand65

Reaction score
I just filled my first keg and force carbonated a few days ago in my new setup and get this....stupid me just figured out that the gas and liquid lines are 2 different dissconnects...grey..mmm black for liquid..just ordered 2 black fittings from the BEV FACTORY..guess i'm gonna have to wait a few more days...BTW.about how long should it take for this stuff to clear in a cornie keg it's a scottish old ale..started out at 1065sg..and finished out at 1020sg..this is the stuff you let your freinds drink a couple pints of then hide their keys..i'll be glad when i get those fittings so's i can stop drinking the store bought stuff...even though i'll still enjoy my ROLLING ROCK from time to time..i'm a 3rd generation RR drinker!!!:rockin:

A small hint to make life easier, put a colored o-ring on the keg's gas plug: black to black, not-black to not-black. When you have 10-15 kegs and are running QA tests, it can be hard to remember what the dimples mean. And the in/outs are never easy to read.

Just remember, even though you can force carbonate the ale in 30 minutes, it doesn't mean it is ready to drink. Give it a couple weeks to settle and mellow. The first pint will have some sediment, but after that it will run clear.

revrand65 said:
I just filled my first keg and force carbonated a few days ago in my new setup and get this....stupid me just figured out that the gas and liquid lines are 2 different dissconnects...grey..mmm black for liquid..just ordered 2 black fittings from the BEV FACTORY..guess i'm gonna have to wait a few more days...BTW.about how long should it take for this stuff to clear in a cornie keg it's a scottish old ale..started out at 1065sg..and finished out at 1020sg..this is the stuff you let your freinds drink a couple pints of then hide their keys..i'll be glad when i get those fittings so's i can stop drinking the store bought stuff...even though i'll still enjoy my ROLLING ROCK from time to time..i'm a 3rd generation RR drinker!!!:rockin:

When kegging try to pay close attention with QDs (grey=gas, black=beer), and also the psi you've pressurized the cornie. You don't want to get beer back-flowing into your gas line. Make sure whenever you connect a gas line that the pressure in the gas line is greater than the pressure in the cornie. Or be sure the in line shut-off valve is closed if you have one.

Thanks again..some great advice...i think next time around i'm gonna try some grain brewing i have some killer recipes from a book by Byron Burch..he's supposed to be the king...

Back