Well, that was interesting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
My first fermentation explosion.

Sixth brew now, a German wheat beer kit from Brewer's Best. Went with 6 gallons instead of the 5.5 I usually put in the 6.5 gallon brew bucket. Added an extra pound of DME, and also two tsp of gypsum to bring the hardness up from the 25 ppm total hardness of my water.

Brought the wort down quickly to 70 and pitched the yeast late yesterday. Did a German wheat beer like this one awhile ago and in just the same way (Northern Brewer). Was a nice fermentation, pretty steady and no big bursts, and the airlock did just fine all the way through. All my previous brews were the same way.

Something was telling me I oughta go with the blowoff tube this time but I went with the airlock instead.

Yep, woke up to a mess this morning. Clogged airlock, bucket lid ajar, foaming wort to clean up off bucket and a bit on floor. Took care of business quickly and put on the blowoff tube.

Still REALLY active, with lots of gurgles and whistling. :mug:

Back