Well, it happened to me again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kegged two beers yesterday after work, hit them both with 40lbs of co2 to seal kegs, check for leaks.

Put them in the fermenter (chest freezer) to get down to temp and left one on the co2.

Checked this morning as I left for work and the high pressure gage is almost at zero! :mad:

After the first 20 lbs tank leaking out on me in the keezer I check for leaks like crazy. This was my 10 lbs tank that I use for sealing kegs and to have them on co2 if they can't fit in my keezer.

As I didn't see any leaks when I sealed the keg last night I am guessing the gas in post might be leaking by. That is a pretty hard spot to check for leaks with the gas connector on the post. I even used some keg lube on the o-rings!

I did check the post when I was sealing the other keg so in my mind it has to me the o-ring on the outer part of the post.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe you could pressurize the keg and dunk the top in a bucket to find leaks next time its empty? Hopefully you have a cheap source of CO2 (I get a 20# refill for $15 at a fire safety outfit). I am pretty nervous about small leaks as well and try to make sure everything that needs thread tape has it, all hose clamps and regulator fittings are tight, all poppets have good springs, and all o-rings are lightly lubed. I like to assemble my regulator and disconnects together and open the tank to pressurize the regulator assembly before kegging. I then monitor the pressure for 24 hours to see if there's a drop/leak. You could do the same connected to an empty keg.

Back