Well i just got my refractometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When fly sparging it's recommended to stop sparging when the gravity drops below 1.012, to prevent extracting tannins.

i knew that, sorta...but actually thought it was a it's pointless to try and get better effec thing....i sparge with water out of a plastic bucket though, so wonder if the temp would be high enough?

i knew that, sorta...but actually thought it was a it's pointless to try and get better effec thing....i sparge with water out of a plastic bucket though, so wonder if the temp would be high enough?
pH is actually more important than temperature. Otherwise, decoctions would become a tannin boil.
But, yeah, when the sparge water is well below 170F the risk of tanning extraction goes down too.

As you noticed there's not much point in extracting the extra 2 gallons at 1.010 (1.012 dropping to 1.008 during the sparge). You'd spend more energy and time condensing that than adding a pound of grain from the get go.

That said, I really appreciate batch sparging. It's not all that critical and once the grain bed has settled, you can lauter wide open.
Now above 10-15 gallons, stirring the sparge becomes a real chore and workout, so fly sparging starts to win points. Also literally.

You'd spend more energy and time condensing that than adding a pound of grain from the get go.

i brew on my NG stove, so energy is pretty much free....but shaving 2 hours off brew day is nice!

at any rate liking the refrac overall..can now calculate ABV without knowing OG, and it's good for small hot samples.....

i brew on my NG stove, so energy is pretty much free....but shaving 2 hours off brew day is nice!
I've condensed 2-3 gallons of 4th runnings (1.008-1.012) at full bore on an electric glass top range with a box fan lying on top of the kettle. It went pretty fast, but hardly worth the effort for 1-2 quarts of 1.50-1.060 wort.

Instead, I do strain the kettle trub, and let it settle out. I can recover 1-3 quarts of clear wort, at 100% batch gravity, much easier that way.

I've condensed 2-3 gallons of 4th runnings (1.008-1.012) at full bore on an electric glass top range with a box fan lying on top of the kettle. It went pretty fast, but hardly worth the effort for 1-2 quarts of 1.50-1.060 wort.

man, you gotta stop thinking for me! i was just thinking about cutting a couple 3" holes in my kettle lid so i could install my inline blower, and an exhaust vent....for that extra 2 points....and still save the time....lol

well, thought i'd update....after 3 or so batches with the refrac, the clamp that holds the plastic thingy that flips down broke.... :(

anyone got a tip for fixing it? i'm not even sure how it broke, but it did....

yeah i got 1.058 OG with my 'broken' refrac, and 1.060 with my hydro and temp correction at 77f.....

the plastic thing really just moves around now....

i spent the same on this one.....

but now that we're talking $150..... 🤔

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-...238740?hash=item46b3157594:g:pNYAAOSwLQtgNnTh

i was having trouble reading 'between the lines' on the optical anyway.....
Yeah, i want a digital one sooooo bad!!! But why?? I make beer for me, and it's a hobby for now.

Yeah, i want a digital one sooooo bad!!! But why?? I make beer for me, and it's a hobby for now.

but you'd be able to impress people here at HBT, saying your Brix in the nearest tenth!

(damn, just noticed a digital refrac for coolant going for $20....have to figure out how to convert glycol to brix, but i'm going for it! lol)

I got a hanna digital refractometer and it was the best decision ive made, it has temp correction and all, one of the best investments ive made in home brewing. Im all about the simplest path to the finish line at all costs.

I got a hanna digital refractometer and it was the best decision ive made, it has temp correction and all, one of the best investments ive made in home brewing. Im all about the simplest path to the finish line at all costs.

now i have to post in "want to buy" forum.....

welp, they say the first taste is free...i'm hooked on the refrac, so i just pulled the trigger on a $90 "New - Open Box" Milwaukee MA871 digital one...should show up just in time for next brew day...going to be nice to have 0.1% digital readout!

welp, they say the first taste is free...i'm hooked on the refrac, so i just pulled the trigger on a $90 "New - Open Box" Milwaukee MA871 digital one...should show up just in time for next brew day...going to be nice to have 0.1% digital readout!
Braccy.... Couldn't you just make one yourself and save a few bucks?!?!
Lemme know how you like it... of course, compare to your good 'ole fashioned hydrometer for us, too!
I am SO jealous!!!

Where did you get the MA871 for that price?

Couldn't you just make one yourself and save a few bucks?!?!

you mean like rig up a tilt for a $30 optical one? lol, i'm not smart enough! ;(

Where did you get the MA871 for that price?

i've been checking ebay for used ones for weeks now! finally one popped up! :mug: and it was just apparently an open box!

Let us know how it compares next brew day. Maybe do a side-by-side with an optical refrac and a hydro?

next brew day should be friday of next week, if i get some barley going to malt! (just blew the money that i would have spent on store bought malt on the refrac, so i better get some barley sprouting! :mug:)

well my first brew with the refrac, i owe someone an appolagy. don't remember a name though.

being that could sample my run off during fly sparging, i realized sparging past 1.009 run-off was pretty pointless, called it at 11.5 gallons in the pot.

got a 1 hour boil off instead of 3, and 94% effec anyway!

now i just need one that reads in SG so i don't have to run back and forth from the computer to figure out what the hell a brick is! lol :mug:
Brac, you know you can get brewers friend on your phone. I use it all the time during brew day. I always google brix calculator and BF is the first one that comes up, easy peasy. :mug:

you know you can get brewers friend on your phone.

i'm anti-social and never owned a phone....lol

but islandlizard, and someone else told me x4, >1.080+1...i'm simple minded though, so for me it's more like x2x2....and add one as needed... :mug:

just tested some Orange Juice with this thing got 10.6% Brix with the digital, and what looks to me like 1.042-43 on the hydro right out of the fridge.....i like it!

Back