Well, I did *something* wrong, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
...the pumpkin ale still looks and tastes really good!

This was my first stab at all grain and I used the BIAB method.
OG was roughly 1.047. I say roughly because I forgot to take a gravity reading after chilling the wort and pitching, so I had to go by the gravity readings I was taking during the mash and boil, using an online converter to account for the temperature and 1.047 was what I had with about 20 minutes left in the boil.

FG is...wait for it...1.022, so 3.3% ABV. Which is strange because the ale definitely has a dry finish to it, not malty at all. AND I've got an ever so slight buzz from the amount of beer that I took the final gravity reading from. You can taste a hint of pumpkin and the spices. By all accounts this is a pretty good beer, except for the gravity readings.

Any ideas where I goofed? I'm not complaining, because thankfully this is a very drinkable beer, but ideas from the experts would be appreciated. I've never had a FG over 1.014.

Cheers!

Nick

you mentioned taking a reading during boil. what temp was wort when you took reading?

you mentioned taking a reading during boil. what temp was wort when you took reading?

I had to wait for thetemp to get down to 120F as that's the highest temp the online calculator would allow. I forget the actual reading, but the calculator converted it to 1.047 for me based on the actual reading and temp.

If you are happy with the beer no problems. the #'s sound off to me, but hey I have been known to be "off". Do you ever calibrate your hydrometer? I make sure once a month I check it to make sure it is still accurate. sometimes the papers slip and they give poor readings because of that.

The thing to keep in mind with a hydrometer is the further from it's calibrated temp you are, the less reliable it is. You very well may have had a 1.060 OG. I would highly recommend a refractometer if you want to do mid-boil or sparge runnings type of gravity measurements.

Back