Welds are done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

big supper

Reaction score
Advice needed on those with welding knowledge!!

I got my keggles welded (good price). he checked them for leaks after he was finished. The interior looks a little rough, but I figured that for a HLT and boil kettle it would be fine. Is there anything I can or should do to clean it up?

outside:

weld - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

inside:

weld - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

Thanks

PS Hope the pics work!!!

lehr

Reaction score
They must not have back gassed those when they welded them...Try brushing them with a stainless brush.

Pat

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
No harm done. It's not a fermenter so they don't have to be sanitary. I'm yet to hear of a welder that would take on such a small job AND be willing to back gas it.

Reaction score
You need to scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend. I'd try grinding it a little with a Dremel first. Just make sure to use a new stone so you don't contaminate the SS. If you don't scrub that blue discoloration off with BKF, the keggle will rust in that area.

Swagman

Banned
Reaction score
No harm done. It's not a fermenter so they don't have to be sanitary. I'm yet to hear of a welder that would take on such a small job AND be willing to back gas it.

The weld did not have a back gas. Just a little hard to keep clean but no worries. Myself any coupler welded here at the shed is back flowed with argon.

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool: