Weldless Bulkhead Success Rate Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please select your experience with weldless bulkheads

• Cooler - Installed and never leaked

• Cooler - Leaked initially but I got it to seal (note how)

• Cooler - Sealed intially but started leaking after months of use

• Cooler - Never got it to seal, gave up.

• Metal Vessel - Installed and never leaked

• Metal Vessel - Leaked initially but I got it to seal (note how)

• Metal Vessel - Sealed intially but started leaking after months of use

• Metal Vessel - Never got it to seal, gave up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
all right, I have to change my vote. After taking off the weldless fittings on my boil keggle and MLT they started leaking. I tried everything to get them to seal but the o-rings kept squishing out and not even a machined locknut kept it from leaking. I've been using these kegs for about 6 months without leaks. I finally bit the bullet and took the two kegs down to the LHBS to have them welded up. Cost me $25 each which included the SS 1/2" coupler. A bit steep, but I don't know anyone else who welds stainless.

I still have a weldless fitting on my HLT, which has never leaked on me. I assume this is because I never need to take it off. We'll see how long that lasts :D.

I finally bit the bullet and took the two kegs down to the LHBS to have them welded up. Cost me $25 each which included the SS 1/2" coupler. A bit steep, but I don't know anyone else who welds stainless.

Is that per keg, or per coupler? I just had a local guy give me a quote: $35 for welding each coupler. (I provide the hardware.) This is not a welding shop, just a guy with a welding rig, who has done keggles before. Seems a bit steep.

I have a commercial fitting on my keggle, never leaked

I have self designed bulkheads on my MLT and HLT, never leaked.

I suppose I am lucky.

I have a total of 3 weldless bulkheads, 2 on 10 gallon igloo coolers (from B3) and one on a keggle (from bargain fittings). Neither have leaked once in 4+ years of service.

The bulkhead that has been nothing but a headache from the beginning is the one B3 uses for the thermometer option on the cooler mashtun. It requires a half roll of teflon tape every few brew days.

Hey Bobby-
I know you started this thread because you don't seem to have confidence in weldless fittings, but looking at the numbers on the poll, it seems that most (including myself) have never had a problem with their weldless bulkheads.

Do you think that it is more of an "operator error" issue, or something else. I'm not slamming anyone whose weldless bulkhead leaks it just seems that the people who they DO work for out number those that DON'T.

Is that per keg, or per coupler? I just had a local guy give me a quote: $35 for welding each coupler. (I provide the hardware.) This is not a welding shop, just a guy with a welding rig, who has done keggles before. Seems a bit steep.

I'm not really sure what the going rate for that stuff is. But he did provide the SS coupler, and do the welding for $25 per coupler. Seemed reasonable.

mine leaked initially. I took it apart and then used teflon tape and reassembiled...after tightening the daylights out of the nut, it sealed and i havent had a problem since.

I got weldless bulkheads for my mash tun and my kettle, and I've never had a problem with either. I got them from Blichmann with my three piece ball valves. No complaints yet, about a year and 9 months in.

I can get mine to seal but sometimes it takes more than one try. Just when I think I found the key it doesn't work the following time. The washer that I have seen soldered to the coupling seems like the way to go for a near 100% success rate. Someone should start marketing those.

Thread resurrection for sure but I agree with you. The problem with the soldered washer is the time. Unless someone were to get them produced in China at 10,000 units, the labor makes it cost prohibitive. The typical weldless bulkhead goes for what, $13? Would you pay an extra $7 for the solder?

I'd put a small ring of food safe sealant on the coupling and nipple connection then put the washer and o-ring. That should do the trick or a very thin silicone flat washer would be better in my opinion.

Installed in keg and Initially leaked in one and not the other. I used pipe dope on the non-leaker and regular teflon tape on the one that leaked...fixed with the teflon in a tube...

I spent a couple of weeks trying to get an old rectangular cooler I had on hand to seal. I used the "no leak mlt bulkhead" design you can find elsewhere on this forum, with many variations of gaskets and o-rings and varying amounts of torque. It always leaked pretty quickly.

I finally gave up and bought a rubbermaid/home depot 10 gallon cylindrical cooler. From in to out I used:

bazooka filter -> coupler -> SS washer -> o-ring -> gasket that came in cooler <-cooler wall-> <- several washers <- lock nut <- ball valve <- hose barb

It worked great - no leaks the first time. It took about 15 minutes to put together. No drilling. Definitely go with this type of cooler, as it's made specifically to hold liquid and works really well.

bazooka filter -> coupler -> SS washer -> o-ring -> gasket that came in cooler <-cooler wall-> <- several washers <- lock nut <- ball valve <- hose barb

Resurrecting the dead!!!

That seems a bit like overkill though. For my 10gal Igloo (cylindrical) cooler, in-to-out:

hose barb(MLT)/coupler(HLT) > cooler wall < flat silicon washer < SS washer < ball valve < hose barb

Installed as per instructions that came with the bulkhead (designed specifically for these coolers), including teflon tape on the entire nipple. Never had a drop leak.

My $0.02 for now. Bought a 10 gallon boil kettle and it came with the 2 weldless (O-ring type) bulkheads ,valve and thermometer with 1 nipple fitting. I plan on brewing next friday following thanksgiving so I assembled it today. First fill up with cold water, leaked immediately. Had to run around today so bought some Gorilla sealant (100% silicone, "30 minute waterproof" ) . I took the washers and put in a vise , made then slightly curved to match the BK side curvature. Omitted the outside o-ring and applied the sealant , tightened up the inside nut tight as I could. Waited a few minutes until the sealant got a little thick. Filled up with water to about the 8 gallon mark, no leaks cold. Waiting until tomorrow maybe to test it out hot to see if it leaks with boiling water . I'll report back asap.

Last edited:
Back