Weldless installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc10

Reaction score
i am relatively new to brewing but i got hooked quick and i have been working on my all grain brew structure for the last few months and its starting to take shape. i read a lot of the threads on weldless fittings, some good and some bad. i finally concluded that its a matter of preference. i also decided early that the sole reason for my all grain build was to keep ME busy so i wanted to do it ALL myself. i went with the weldless and it is working for now but i want to share my installation with you for educational purposes. the basic setup is (1) ball valve, (2)hex nut (3) silicon washer (4) keg wall, (5) silicon washer and (6) coupling. all of this is connected of course with a 1/2" closed nipple. i started from the inside out and almost all of my fittings leaked. this approach does not leave much thread on the outside of the keg and all of my leaks were from this short connection at the ball valve and hex nut. the correct procedure is this:
1. wrap the nipple good with Teflon tape.
2. screw the hex nut to the middle of the nipple as tight as you can.
3. screw the ball valve on and tighten hard. i found that there is a small (1/2" +/-) area in the middle of the nipple that separates the two threads and a pair of needle nose vise grips will hold it snugly without damaging the threads.
4. now insert the first silicon o-ring up snug with the hex nut.
5. insert the assembly into the hole in the keg.
6. insert the second silicon o-ring.
7. screw on the coupling and tighten.

you dont really care if the coupling is short threaded as long as you have enough to secure it. after i did this, NO MORE LEAKS!

hope this helps someone.

Back