Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a list of gas parts to buy to put together burners?

srsly. I just ordered a bunch of parts from McMaster that I *think* will work but with all the conversions from flare to NPT, we'll see. Also, what's best to use to seal the threads? Rectorseal? If so, which one?

So...I got the green stuff...It looks good but it is all scratched up and dinged...so if you are looking for perfect Powdercoat forget it.......Each piece is not individually wrapped so I assume this is why.....If I did it again Id probably go with the regular stuff.

Anyway as for burners....Im very lost here because this will be my first ever gas plumb...not exact sure what I need. Im assuming this will work
http://kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=215
plus some black pipe and thumb valves from a big box place. I wish I had a part list because Im sure Ill need fittings of all kinds

Three of these valves.
P1010598.jpg

Three hoses 1/4" 350 psi with 3/8" F SAE gas flare at both ends. Cut and made to suit. In my area there is Suburban Propane and they make mine up for me. You can also use the flexible steel appliance gas lines similar to this pipe.
P1010597.jpg

Three of these fittings attached at the burner end make for a clean finish.
P1010596.jpg

I hope this helps...

thanks for the pics and links. but what about needle valves to control the exact flow to the burners? I thought ball valves were mostly used for on/off gas applications?

thanks for the pics and links. but what about needle valves to control the exact flow to the burners? I thought ball valves were mostly used for on/off gas applications?

Never needed them and they require more plumbing...

So it looks like I was charged $204...14 of that was tax.....so 25 bucks for shipping.....Not great but could be worse(Cheaper than a welder)
[/url]

Thanks for the shipping update. I'm up in the PNW (tax free Oregon), so gives me a reasonable estimate of shipping cost. Since I'm going all electric, I'll probably stick with a two-tier wood build, but it's good to know there are options out there. . ..

I am having a problem running three burners at the same time. I have the 30 PSU regulator on my tank and below are the pics of the plumbing. It is possible that i keep tripping the valve in the regulator when I crank up the third burner?

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Tripping the valve?
Is it a set 30 PSI or an adjustable?
Have each of the burners been dialed in? (Air/fuel ratio adjusted)

BTW: interesting valves...

Tripping the valve?
Is it a set 30 PSI or an adjustable?
Have each of the burners been dialed in? (Air/fuel ratio adjusted)

BTW: interesting valves...

It is adjustable. They were dialed in as best as I could with the wind. I think I need to add some kind of wind shield around the burners, or to the two sides and back of the whole rig.

I used a miter saw with a 10" metal cutting (fiber) blade. You're doing all straight cuts so the saw you're looking at should do the job.

Did it do any damage to the mitre saw? Searching around google some people mentioned sparks damaging the mitre saw table, wasn't sure.

Did it do any damage to the mitre saw? Searching around google some people mentioned sparks damaging the mitre saw table, wasn't sure.

Didn't damage mine. IIRC it's only about 14 cuts.

Smelled up the garage something awful and I had to listen SWMBO complain for a week, but the saw was fine.

Hey guys might be something I overlooked in the thread but where did y'all buy the galvanized metal? And how did you get it cut? On your own or by a shop!

Builds look great

Just ordered all of the parts to get my build going! Really excited! I added (12) additional 90 degree angles and (2) additional packs of the nuts & bolts. My idea is to add (4) of the 90 degree angles to the top of my stand, under each burner for additional support. Do you all think this was a good idea? Probably worthless, but I thought I would try it out anyways.

Just ordered all of the parts to get my build going! Really excited! I added (12) additional 90 degree angles and (2) additional packs of the nuts & bolts. My idea is to add (4) of the 90 degree angles to the top of my stand, under each burner for additional support. Do you all think this was a good idea? Probably worthless, but I thought I would try it out anyways.

Total parts cost for the whole frame assembly including shipping is??

honestly, WAY overkill. see if you can return them. if you fill a keggle full with water, it weighs 150#. angle iron on 4 sides will support this. just my $0.02 though. that $30 could pay for plumbing, casters, etc...

Sorry for the delayed response guys... I actually thought more about and decided against purchasing the extra 90 degree angles. I agree, blacks4, way too much overkill... My materials ended up being roughly $160 shipped. Now I've got to get to work on cleaning/polishing and installing the fittings on my (3) newly acquired keggles so they will look good on the new brew stand!!!

Finally got my stand built (almost done). Just need to install the burners and gas plumbing...

5384-stand.jpg

OK, I am ready to pull the trigger on this. Very excited.

For those who have had their builds for a while, how is it holding up? I brew every other week and somewhat concerned about damage over time. Perhaps the green powder coat option, while arriving scratched, would help?

by the way, I ordered 3 sets of nuts/bolts/washers and completely ran out of washers with plenty of nuts and bolts left over because I used 2 washers per nut/bolt. If I could do it again, I'd get 2 bags of hardware and 2 bags of washers. Counting everything up, it looks like I'd need about 100 nuts/bolts and 200 washers to build the frame way I did plus 2 pumps and 2 burners.

Yeah I had to go to the hardware store for more washer's too. Used one bag of the fender washers and one bag of lock washers.

Guys,

I'm getting started on mine this weekend, angle iron is in the mail.

I need some help on the cutting. I saw someone mention the cut off saws at Harbor Freight before, I was wondering if this one would work:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/cut-off-saws/6-inch-cut-off-saw-41453.html#pr-header-41453

Seems like it might be a bit too small, but I didn't know if anyone had any experience. I'd rather not go the angle grinder route since I haven't used one before.

I'd get over the fear of the angle grinder and use it regardless of what you cut with - to clean up sharp edges.

All you need are gloves, goggles and some earplugs. Approach the rough/sharp edge with the bottom of the wheel (part that is facing outwards when you hold it) not with the edge of the wheel itself. Sparks will fly out, you'll look awesome if wife/kids are watching (from afar or with goggles).

Angle grinder is an awesome tool for cutting locks, sharpening blades/axes, fashioning tools to fight off zombies, and all sorts of other things. They are rather affordable as you don't need a high end model to be effective. While it's not something I use too often with my home renovations/projects...when I do need it, it's worth every penny.

Angle grinder is an awesome tool for cutting locks, sharpening blades/axes, fashioning tools to fight off zombies, and all sorts of other things. They are rather affordable as you don't need a high end model to be effective. While it's not something I use too often with my home renovations/projects...when I do need it, it's worth every penny.

Not to mention it makes sharpening mower blades a breeze. I would absolutely agree it's worth every penny and a tool everyone should have as they are very reasonably priced.

My previous shop foreman did alot of metalwork at home. He bought 5 or more of the harbor freight angle grinders to leave different stones and brushes on. It would have been crazy money to buy Dewalt or Makita, and he hasn't had much trouble from any of them.

Stupid question, but could someone link me the jet from Morebeer.com that is required to hook up the piping to each burner? There are a couple, and I dont want to get the wrong one. :\

Thanks!

Stupid question, but could someone link me the jet from Morebeer.com that is required to hook up the piping to each burner? There are a couple, and I dont want to get the wrong one. :\

Thanks!
The jet?
Which burners do you have?
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/ is the place to call about orifice questions. They carry all the different sizes.

Just a quick question regarding this type of brew stand (which is awesome, btw)
I heard that galvanized steel gives off toxic fumes when exposed to high heats...is this a legitimate concern?

Let it burn for awhile in the open or a very good ventilated area. The coating needs to burn off.

What is everyone using to seal the threads for all the propane lines? regular teflon tape? something like Rectorseal? I finally got all the plumbing parts and ready to put it together. Thanks.

What is everyone using to seal the threads for all the propane lines? regular teflon tape? something like Rectorseal? I finally got all the plumbing parts and ready to put it together. Thanks.

you need to use the "gas" teflon tape. it's yellow, or at least that's what color it is at HD. I guess the white stuff will break down from the gas.

Back