Weld-in Fitting Size for Elec Elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should I connect my elements (welded fittings only)?

• 1" threaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.5" TC

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • 2" TC

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have 2 inch TC detachable plug elements on my 3 vessel e-herms rig and I am very happy I went with the 2 inch size. It also is a breeze to clean out the boil kettle (I have a Sabco Keg as a boil kettle) and flush everything out the large hole. Good luck with the build!

John

Taking my keggle in to get welded tomorrow. I marked it so that the ferrule is more or less on the straight side portion, maybe 3/4" up from the weld where the collar is. Any reason why that's a good or bad idea?

Sounds good. I just measured mine for you and I have the bottom of the ferrule one inch above the bottom weld/seam of the keg, just above the keg skirt.

John

You are going to love electric brewing! Also the concave bottom of the keggle is awesome when you whirlpool, as the hop particles, cold break, etc. really move to the middle of the bottom of the kettle and a short dip tube will grab all of the wort. The wort will be very clear and barely any of the stuff you want to leave behind will make it into your fermenter. Good luck tomorrow on the welds!

John

This one is “brewing related” but my experience will guide my electric brewery trajectory. I‘ve been brewing for so long its hard to imagine my beer getting demonstrably better for the switch, but making a brew day easier is definitely attractive.

True if you already nailed the system you brewed on previously and make great beer then you probably won't see a big difference. However, temps will be held perfectly and effortlessly, ramping to the next temp in a step mash is very easy and there is no temp overshoot. This makes repeatability on making the same recipe over again and come out the same way a big benefit, so your beer will actually get better. Also no more excessive hot heat wash from the vessels if you use propane (to heat up the area), and electric is a lot quieter. I think it is much more convenient to use electric and it is a pleasure to brew on an electric rig. You won't look back I know I don't!

John

Oh it's gonna be convenient for sure!

I did an honest double-decocted Doppelbock back in ... 1997 I think it was? Have not done one since. THAT is how much work beer can be! :p

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this thread.

I am going with the 2" TC, simply because I have other TC fittings and parts and pieces and it makes sense not to add a third size even if it's a couple of bucks cheaper. There's going to be some interop between this and a tangential project where 2" is to be used.
I have 2” TCs welded onto my pots. Ports and 5500W elements from brew hardware. Years later not one issue and love them. I went larger cause why not? Much easier to get ripple elements in.

Bobby asked me to post a pic of the weld when I got it back:

IMG_0333.jpg

As he pointed out there is absolutely no reason not to solder or braze these for most uses. I was already having some stuff done though, so welding these on was easy.

Latest posts

Back