Weizen with Windsor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatcapt

Reaction score
Will be brewing a Weizen shortly. This is my first shot at this type. I have a pack of Windsor yeast and I note that Danstar touts it as good for a Weizen. Not a lot of info on the results of using this yeast as opposed to other strains. Has anyone here used it for a Weized? If so, how were the results compared to other strains?

Compared to other strains the give delicious banana and clove flavours, a weizen fermented with windsor will have a disgusting musty mold taste.

I'm sure the only reason they write that on the package is because Windsor is so non-flocculent. If you must use a danstar product, go with munich but you will be much happier with the results using the liquid classic wy3068 weistephaner weizen.

I like Windsor yeast, but it doesn't have a german Weizen character at all. It's my go-to yeast for a malt forward English style.

Munich is Danstar's dry german weizen yeast, although I haven't used it and can't tell you much about it.

Fermentis WB-06 is also a good choice if going with the dry yeast option. It has decent weizen character and you can get the banana flavor if you ferment it on the warmer side (68-70F)

I would get a yeast that will give you the clove and banana flavors you're looking for. I used WLP300 and it came out nice.

Unfortunately were I live in PR my local store is very limited on most everything including the full array of yeasts. Choices came down to Windsor, US05, BRY97 and Muntons Ale Yeast. They are trying and are getting better but right now are very limited.

Since none of those yeasts really have any Weizen character, maybe it would be better to make an American style wheat? A weizen really relies on yeast character, without that, it's not going to have a lot going for it with minimal hopping.

You might get away with a dunkelweizen or weizenbock though. If you're going to make a regular Weizen though, I'd consider a little more late nobel hop additions, it would put it out of the traditional style, but it would help make up for a lack of yeast character.

Could you place an online order and have it shipped to you? A liquid yeast with an ice pack plus a couple packets of dry (munich, wb06) could set you up for a while, particularly if you decide to harvest and reuse yeast.

Just a quick update on the Windsor yeast Weizen. Bottled it today and had a little bit off the hydrometer sample. Does have the distinct banana character but not much clove. Left it for three weeks in the primary and fermented at 70 degrees. We'll see how it tastes when it bottle conditions but so far, not terrible. Maybe a more on point yeast would yield somewhat better results, but in a pinch, Windsor in a Weizen seems to work OK.

Maybe it would have helped to ferment/condition at higher temps?

Others with more experience can say better, I don't have experience with trying to purposely ferment too high, but maybe this yeast can do a weizen better if you purposely ferment too warm of temperature to produce more of the esters/fusel?

The temp probably contributed a bit. I say I fermented at 70 but during the day the temp in my brewing room will creep up a few degrees. On week in the bottle...I'll give it another week and pop the top on my first one to see if it has a disgusting musty taste OR if it tastes like bananas foster! I've got a feeling it will be somewhere in the middle...Not the best Weizen I've ever tasted, but not the worst either. We'll see shortly.

Well...Had the first fully conditioned Windsor Yeast Weizen. Color and clarity were spot on (golden with the traditional wheat haze...not cloudy but not crystal clear either). Smell was fruity with definite banana overtones (not overpowering but definitely there). Taste was crisp with a good deal of fruitiness (but not overpowering). All in all...not bad at all for a first try at the style using a yeast that was not the traditional pick.

Would I brew a Weizen with Windsor yeast again? In a pinch, you bet. I'm sure it would be better with the "proper" yeast but all in all, I'd say the Windsor produces a very drinkable Weizen.

Back