Weizen Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidiot

Reaction score
I just finished my first wheat beer. It was a kinda thrown together with next to no research attempt at a dunkelweizen. It isn't even three weeks old(it went straight in the key from primary a few days ago and got the first taste pulled tonight) and it is probably my best brew so far. The color didn't turn out where I wanted it, but I knew it was going to be lighter than I wanted.

The one thing I didn't expect was a super creamy mouth feel. Is this a common wheat thing I just never experienced before, or is it something else I did? I ask because I like it and want to be able to repeat it with other brews.

I didn't want to do a trip to the brew store or end up with leftovers(I am about to move and can't brew for a few more weeks at least) so all the ingredients were limited to what I wanted a full order of online (1lb min).

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 85.7 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00%] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.5 %
Bitterness: 16.0 IBU Calories: 187 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.3 SRM

I'm not sure about this, good question though. I know that crystal malts are not usually used in dunkelweizens or hefeweizens, maybe that's giving the mouthfeel. Also, I tend to pour all the yeast from my bottles in to my glass when I have a weizen, this adds a slight creaminess in my opinion.. so maybe its the wlp300 you are tasting. These are just guesses :)

Latest posts

Back