Weissbier Grain Bill Faux Pas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotcarl5150

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a citrus/coriander Weissbier recipe, and want to make sure I'm not going off the reservation with how I construct the grain bill. From what I've seen, it looks like opinions vary on what combinations of wheat malts to use and what other barley malts to include, if any. Notwithstanding the BJCP guidance (wheat malt and Pilsener malt), my 5.5gal recipe so far includes 5lbs. white malt, 4lbs. 2-row pale malt, and a pound of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. My question is: are the proportions of the malt out of whack? Too much 2-row? Not enough wheat malt? Do I absolutely need Pilsener malt? Am I omitting a certain kind of malt that needs to be in there? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I just made this from Edworts list of awesome recipes. (5g) batch

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

My rule of thumb is at least 60% wheat with the rest being pils. You can go up in wheat if you want but if you do the rice hulls are not optional (they aren't an option for me at 60% wheat).

Now who is to say that you can't go to less than 60% if you want to? This is an area for you to experiment.

Back