Weird Occurance - Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe21

Reaction score
I noticed a weird thing just a few minutes ago and was wondering if anybody had some insight as to what happened.

I stored my 2-row in 5 gallon buckets with airtight lids, before closing them I filled them with co2 from the bottom up.

I just looked at the buckets and the lids are concave as if the bucket was vacuum sealed. I have no idea how this happened, any ideas? :confused:

Cooler temperature inside the bucket from the co2 made a vacuum. Good job you made it air tite

The grain absorbed the air just like it does water in the mash... :cross:... kidding... +1 to the cooler air creating a vacuum.

You guys got it backwards... If the CO2 made the contents cooler, as it warmed up to room temperature, it would have expended.

The contents probably got cooler from ambient temperature, not from the CO2.

M_C

What's weird is that it was all at room temp. Unless somehow the co2 came out hot, then cooled once sealed?

I guess that means it would hold up well to long-term storage :ban: I wonder how long it would keep in a co2 vacuum? Hmm...

Back