Weird looking bottle yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernst-Haeckel

Reaction score
Hey all, I opened a bottle of homebrew last night and poured it in a glass. As I was pouring, I noticed a clump of something pour out with the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. I fished it out of the glass and it was nasty looking! It looked like a kind of semi translucent membrane. It was about an inch long. I can only describe it because I didn't have my camera, but basically a long, string, semi-translucent membrane. The adjectives congealed and gelatinous come to mind. SWMBO and I both had the same reaction: looks like a worm or something!

Needless to say, I didn't drink the beer. I have had many bottles of this brew before and have not noticed anything like this.

There are no off flavors or smells.

The yeast was Wyeast 3068 weihenstephan

Anybody else seen something similar, or have any idea what it could have been?

Sometimes bottles don't get totally clean and old yeast and what have you sticks to the sides and ends up in the bottle when we fill it with beer. I've seen pictures on here of "yeast snakes" like if you didn't wash the bottle thoroughly enough before hand (or forgot) and tossed it in a box, where it laid on it side, the yeast will shlop on the side of the bottle and dry in a long worm form. Then when we pour out the new beer into a glass, that ends up in our glass.

Obviously the beer didn't have time to get infected or your bottle would have gushed. So you should be alright.

i have heard stories like this before, but usually the floating object is green, blue, and moldy.

Back