Weird Keg problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albionwood

Reaction score
Someone gave me some old Corny kegs and I'm in the process of getting them serviceable. One of them, a single-handle, has a really strange thing though. The gas-in post is missing, so I got a replacement and went to put it on, and then discovered the threaded post on the keg is not hollow! I'll go out and get some pics but wanted to see if anyone has ever seen this before, and knows what to do about it.

OK, these images didn't come out too good, if necessary I'll try again with a real camera instead of the damn phone. It looks like there's a plug of some other metal in the stainless threaded post, but I can't budge it with pliers. Since I don't have much to lose here, I might try using more force, perhaps a little percussion... unless someone has more information?

IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG

OK, these images didn't come out too good, if necessary I'll try again with a real camera instead of the damn phone. It looks like there's a plug of some other metal in the stainless threaded post, but I can't budge it with pliers. Since I don't have much to lose here, I might try using more force, perhaps a little percussion... unless someone has more information?

View attachment 633603 View attachment 633605 View attachment 633606 View attachment 633607
Kinda looks like solder on top? Although I can't imagine why someone would do that. Try heating it up before using too much force.

Weird. Do you know what the kegs were being used for before you acquired them?
If you reach through the lid opening is there a dip tube under that post?

If the riser threads are compatible with...some standard gas post...you're looking at drilling and chamfering that riser for a new gas dip tube...

Cheers!

All I know is they were sitting in someone's garage for several years. What happened before that is a mystery.

The last two photos are views from inside the keg looking up at where the dip tube should be. I can't make heads or tails of this.

Like daytripper said it looks like you need to drill. Start with a .040 or 1/8" bit centered and work your way up. Because you are drilling through steel it would be best to use the lowest speed possible and use carbide bits.

The other work around for a seized threaded fitting is to use kroil. However, I think a penetrating oil will linger and leave an offputting flavor forever.

One more option would be to consult a local machine shop. They have tools and methods to take care of things like this but it will cost you.

Looks like that plug you see from the bottom was soldered in on the top. Put a flame to it to melt the solder, and it should drop out or push it out.

I'd be more worried what the keg(s) were used for, especially the plugged up one. Any weird smells or tarnish inside?

Yes, like others, I would be very wary of using that keg for beer. It honestly isn't worth any possible poisonous chemical contamination.

Kegs have been used for things like herbicides and insecticides, and since they are pressure vessels, I'm sure people have found even more uses for them to contain chemicals that need to be spread that you do not want to consume.

A soldered plug to me is a big warning sign, and I would just take that keg to the recycler and find another keg of known origin.

Back