weird foam on top of apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredderator

Reaction score
I've had an apfelwein going since Sunday. It looked like everything was fine (decent amount of white foam on top, good airlock activity, smelled great), but when I checked on it this afternoon, i noticed a layer of pink foam on top of the regular white. The pink stuff looked 'crusty'; almost like expanding insulation foam. I poked the bottle a bit and it wasn't actually solid, just dried out looking, and a very distinct pink color. Is this anything I should be worried about?

FYI, I used ~4.5 gals of western family apple juice (had ascorbic acid and juice as ingredients), ~2 lbs organic cane sugar fred meyers brand, and a pack of Nottingham.

no your most likly fine...just fermentation. take a picture and post if your worried

Pink foam? Not like... BLOOD!? A rare occurance in the apple species, blood apples, are possibly related to Blood Oranges, Bloody Marys, and bloody-bad jokes.

You're probably fine. Keep the air lock open, and wait it out. It will probably fall out w/ the yeast, and it'll be gone when you rack it.

Then again, if it IS blood...
:D

Back