weighing grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Most of my recipes use 2row as the base, and my scale only goes to a couple pounds so I have to weigh it out 2# at a time.

Currently I weigh everything out to the ounce, but its tedious at times.

Does anyone use volume to measure(can or scoop) assuming you know how much said can of say 2row weighs?

I realize its not the most accurate way of doing it of course, but is it close enough?
Thanks!
How do you do it?

Yes, I previously marked a plastic pitcher at 1lb and 2lb increments to measure base grain. I have since placed one pound marks on the 5 gallon water bottle hopper of my grain mill, and just fill the hopper w/ the amount needed. A few ounces more or less of base malt doesn't concern me.

You could absolutely do it this way, but I would recommend weighing your 'reference' grain each time because moisture content may vary on each brew day.

So weigh out a # and put it in a container that you can put a mark on (say, a big tumbler cup) and use that as your guide. Of course, you'll need to calibrate your cup for each type of grain and adjunct.

All that said, I just bought an Escali Primo for about $21 shipped which can go up to 11#

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll probably continue to measure out my specialty grains, hops and adjuncts, but the base grain I'd like to make easier.

I too am not overly concerned about a few ounces either way on base malt. I love this hobby but time is often a pricy commodity having 2 kids and a baby in the house.

Anything to shave a little time off is well worth it for me. So long as its not detrimental to the brew!

Latest posts

Back