weed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilospencer

Reaction score
is it possible to infuse marijuana in a beer recipe? if so how? is it possible to extract thc from marijuana into the beer?

LOL! I've got a neighbor that asked me the same thing when he saw me measuring and boiling some leaf hops. I have no clue how to do it, or if it even works, but i'm guessing it's gotta be some weird tasting beer :)

I bet it may be used in gruit styles. Maybe check that forum for advice.

Are you looking to get effects or just want the flavor?

Crossfaded RIS with pot additions similar to hops. For 5 gal, I would estimate 3-6oz of flowers. I would advise 1gal or smaller batches to help adjust pot additions and to see if its palatable.

I base this dose on a tea recipe that was legally made for a grandma with terminal lung cancer. Her dose was a 2oz cup of tea. This was a milk tea recipe and needs some sort of fat to transfer the thc. 1.5-2oz flower per liter but was strong enough that grandma quit taking the fentyl cold turkey, and started eating again. So only guessing but thinking 3-6oz flower/5gal depending on quality could let you enjoy a pint. Scaled to 1gal, 0.66-1.33 oz.

I would also think that a RIS or other high gravity beer with aging potential to allow time for flavors to mellow. Afraid it may tast very vegital. I would also think you would want relatively high ibus as the alpha acid may assist with pot extraction since alcohol will not be present during the boil and you are not adding much for fats.

Alternatively, could try like dry-hop additions in secondary. Ive heard these take 30-60 days for tinctures to infuse in 70% alcoholic slutions - sounds too long for a dry-hop and efficiency would be liw from low-ish alcohol <15% prob closer to 10%.

Thanks for the question, was fun thinking about a theoretical brew that I have no intention of attempting.

marijuana is new to beer brewing, i know its posssible, im very interested, i love the taste of different marijuana strains, i wish i could get that taste and thc effect in my beer, i also herd that they are making coffee with marijuana infused, how is this possible, i want!,lol

Depends if you want flavour or effect.

For flavour I would dry hop but essentially the THC and other cannaboids are wasted since all 4 primary are alcohol soluble only, and beer isn't alcoholic enough to extract.

For effect I would infuse in a tincture of evercleer/vodka for 30-45 days and use that, though sparingly.

As for the coffee they are most likely infusing it into high fat dairy products

Last edited:
marijuana is new to beer brewing, i know its posssible, im very interested, i love the taste of different marijuana strains, i wish i could get that taste and thc effect in my beer, i also herd that they are making coffee with marijuana infused, how is this possible, i want!,lol

lol they are making marijuana everything in co

sour diesel skunk falafel

Make an ethanol tincture and add it to the keg/bottles. Google "green dragon" and follow link for something like "the definitive green dragon." That tincture will work for your purposes. If bottling, dose appropriately per bottle.

Hopefully not to off-topic, but has anyone tried any of the varieties of CBD beers? I know there are a few breweries making them.

I did it about 4 years ago. Brewed up a nice Fat Tire Clone, and then Dry hopped it on 2 oz of High THC Bud. It as OK, but as someone else mentioned, probabley better consumed seperately

what giving the buds a dip in food grade lye before tossing them in the boil? kinda like making pretzels.

the sodium salt should be water soluble? i think, i know when i'm messing around with amino acids, they go into solution with the help of some baking soda....

My understanding of the THC needs to be heat activated, so if you want the effect you will need to put it in the boil for a long time. I think some of the butters take like 4 hours. I did a MPA (medicated pale ale) a few years ago, it was fun, but I don't know if it was effective or not. I never tried it sober. LOL :mug:

high molecular weight carboxylic acids aren't water soluble? i think. and high heat, and something like a ketone like acetone, will drive the carboxylic group off the molecule making it water soluble. but you wouoldn't want acetone in your beer for obvious reason, but a sodium salt would be easily made with, i don't know how strong a base. just me guessing here.

THC is not water soluble, and no amount of boiling will change that.

Furthermore as it has been said, if you want to get high and drunk at the same time you have to decarb the herb (THCa-THC) first. Adding as a dry hop will do nothing but ruin your beer. You need to add it after you extracted the THC or use processed material (honey, tincture, etc).

In other words, don't.

If you really want to do it, see my signature for how to individually prime bottles and add it to each bottle from a tincture or similar processed method.

I find that some hops smell like good buds. Im sure there is a hop out there that could give you a similar flavor profile.

Back