Weber Smokey Mountain / Bullet - 18.5" or 22.5" model?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilconrad

Reaction score
SWMBO got me a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for Christmas, and I'm psyched to enter the world of smoked meats. Thing is, she didn't actually buy one yet, just gave me the go ahead on the 22.5" model... but I'm wondering if the 18.5" isn't a better fit? I will likely only be smoking a rack or 2 of ribs at a time, a single pork butt or brisket, or maybe a turkey next thanksgiving. All of which, it appears, the 18.5" model could handle.

If I go with the 22.5", I'd obviously have more room, which is nice, but is it worth the extra $100? I'm assuming it'll burn a bunch more coals too? As a homebrew nerd, I obviously want to add a temp control blower to this thing... If I get the 18.5", I'd nearly save enough to make that happen.

So, long-winded way of asking: WSM users, worth the extra $ for the 22.5" model? Or should I get the 18.5" and spend the savings on a temp controller?

Thanks for your help, can't wait to start smoking :)

I've the 18.5" for several years, and have never wished I had the 22".

Did two ~12-14lb turkeys this Thanksgiving, and have smoked ~30+lbs of pulled pork with no problem.

Awesome, good info, thanks AZ_IPA! Hard for me to imagine a situation where I'd need to smoke more than 30 lbs of pork.

I also have the 18.5. Bought it in November and have used it several times already . Personally for the amounts I cook at a time the 18.5 is plenty and I do not find that I need the extra real estate of the 22 yet. Also, I have considered the stokers, but honestly if you read up on the minion method, and adjust the vents temp control should not be an issue (leave the top vent open and only adjust the bottom ones).

I have the 22 and while it works great and I love it, I think the 18 would have been plenty. I smoked 4 butts last weekend and had room for probably 4 more. My vote would be for the 18 and a temp controller.

Check out tvwbb. Great community (just like this one) and tons of useful info on mods and tips. The photo gallery is a great place to stir up ideas.

I've had the 18 for 3 years and it works well for everything, but there are times I wish I had the 22. You do have to cut or roll full racks of ribs frequently, and if you do whole packer briskets some times you have to bunch up the meat at the ends to fit it in.
If you want to cook full racks of ribs or full packers regularly, you may want to go to the 22". You can fabricate a smaller fuel ring to save on fuel in the big one.

I have the 18 and like said above there are times I wish I had the 22 but to be honest I don't feel it's needed. Did over 30lbs of pork butt on it no problem. Ribs can be tricky but either roll them or get a rib rack for the first few hours till they shrink enough to fit and you're golden

I have the 18 for about a year now and I've done all you described. I have two butts on right now and am only using the top grate. A full packer brisket can be very tricky but its been done. A rib rack is a nice addition that makes ribs easier. I do three racks on my top grate all the time, could do three more on the bottom if I wanted. You can also roll and skewer them. A turkey is no problem, can do two easy with one on each rack.

I don't have a temp controller which was difficult for me as a brew nerd and equipment geek. But I found that it is a much different world than brewing and the temperature controller was not needed (at least for me). Too much other stuff to buy!

By the way, here is an excellent capacity summary of each: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html Also a great community in general for WSM owners.

I had both smokey joe,jumbo joe.

now I'm going to buy weber q1400 do you have any experience about it : I'm gonna buy from here Source

I have the 18.5 for many years and with the rib racks I always had enough room. If I were to smoke for large parties then I would consider the 22. With the minion method this smoker is rock solid on temperature. Instead of a temp control blower I suggest saving you money towards a ceramic grill (I also have a Vision grill and love it but I prefer my WSM for smoking).

One thing you can do with a 22 that you can't do with an 18 is use the rotisserie attachment. The 22 can use just about any grilling accessories a grill can so that is a plus. We will slow cook rib roasts on the rotisserie on the WSM with something else like beans to catch the drippings. The 18 WSM is more fuel efficient but the 22 is more versatile.

I'll echo the above. I have the 18 and it has been totally adequate for everything I've ever done. Sure, you have to kind of fold racks of baby backs to make them fit, and maybe the very tip of a brisket wont fit neatly, but I've never felt the need for the extra space in the 22. The 22 is cool, but I think the 22 would be too big for 90% of what I cook.

Plus I'm often asked to bring the smoker to friends' parties, or to vacation spots. The 22 would be too big to transport.

Not to beat a dead pig, but I agree, the 18.5" does everything I want it to. Maybe once a season (ie. a year as bbq never stops), I think, oh I'd like more room. But 9/10 times, its perfect. Happy Q'ing.

Latest posts

Back