Weber Kettle Thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bunch of years ago, when we still lived in Wisconsin, we lost power for several days. It happened in summer, so heat wasn't a problem. Wisconsin Electric provided dry ice for refrigerators and freezers. Now, what to cook on the Weber to feed four children and two adults??? How about Hamburger Helper! Worked like a charm over direct heat in a cast iron pan with a cast iron lid! And the children testify to it tasting great even to this day!

glenn514:mug:

A bunch of years ago, when we still lived in Wisconsin, we lost power for several days. It happened in summer, so heat wasn't a problem. Wisconsin Electric provided dry ice for refrigerators and freezers. Now, what to cook on the Weber to feed four children and two adults??? How about Hamburger Helper! Worked like a charm over direct heat in a cast iron pan with a cast iron lid! And the children testify to it tasting great even to this day!

We had just put a whole ham into the oven one cold January day when our power went out. KOTC fired up the grill (one of those sorta wannabe Weber covered kettle type thingies) and in that ham went. Three hours later it came out one of the best we ever ate!

AND to top THAT off - it SNOWED on us - not much, but here at the central Coast of CA - it was amazing!

Turkey on the smoker and veggies on the grill streamlines the heck out of the kitchen on Thanksgiving.

Normally, I'm kind of lazy, and usually cook hamburgers on the gas grill. Tonight, however, I am going to use lump charcoal in the Weber and see if it makes any difference. I'll just bet dollars to donuts it makes a big difference.

Normally, I'm kind of lazy, and usually cook hamburgers on the gas grill. Tonight, however, I am going to use lump charcoal in the Weber and see if it makes any difference. I'll just bet dollars to donuts it makes a big difference.

There is nothing wrong with a burger cooked on the gas grill, BUT, IMHO, there is a world of difference between that and one cooked over charcoal or oak coals! :)

Some days I take the easy route too. It's niced to have options.

I use my Weber (with the side inserts) as a smoker all the time & there's quite a bit of buildup on the inside of the kettle; I figured I'd have to scrape it to remove the buildup, but I'm wondering if any of you have found an easier way to do it? Aside from burning it off or using a pressure washer.
Regards, GF.

I use my Weber (with the side inserts) as a smoker all the time & there's quite a bit of buildup on the inside of the kettle; I figured I'd have to scrape it to remove the buildup, but I'm wondering if any of you have found an easier way to do it? Aside from burning it off or using a pressure washer.
Regards, GF.

I've never pressure washed mine.
I use a putty knife to scrape build up off.
I do cook indirect all the time which causes a ton of grease build up on that side of the grill. I just toss some charcoal on that side with white gas and light it. burns all the build up away but becomes very hot so watch out. Plus it smells terrible but when it cools it's clean as a whistle.

Back