weak merlot fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdog65

Reaction score
Started a cellar master merlot kit about 6 days ago in carboy, and after 3 days there was a very limited thin bubble layer on surface then it stopped altogether today.

So, read that I might get it going and concluded two likely issues: I only filled to the 20 L mark for a 23 L recipe and the yeast was over 1 year old for sure. So, following advice, I added a couple liters of water and agitated juice very well. Now, about 4 hrs later it is bubbling away up into the airlock (put on airlock due to lack of fermentation activity). So, I now replaced airlock with cheesecloth (to allow O2 for yeast). Do you think this is OK and that this batch is now on a good path or should I also add a kickstarter with new fresh yeast?

Follow the hydrometer readings. If they continue to drop, your batch is fermenting. Introducing a lot of O2 into the mix probably made it very happy.

So, I now replaced airlock with cheesecloth (to allow O2 for yeast). Do you think this is OK and that this batch is now on a good path or should I also add a kickstarter with new fresh yeast?

The yeast has plenty of oxygen dissolved in the must to get reproducing. The airlock is ideal and there is no benefit to the cheesecloth.

Depending on how full the fermenter container is, it may take a while of fermenting to produce enough CO2 pressure to bubble. Like CatawbaCat said, you can monitor the fermentation progress. If it is not progressing, then pitch in some more yeast

Back