Weak Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroy

Reaction score
Hey, so my last batch of beer I bottled had some really weak bottles that either broke when I capped then or when I tried open them. A few days ago I opened one and the top broke off and cut my hand pretty bad :mad: I'm pretty sure it is just this one type of bottle, has anyone else had this problem?

The bottles are blank except for a small circle, a line all the way down the side and some braile-like dots along the bottom. I don't remember where I got them from or what the beer was but they are dangerous.

-Archroy

I've had a few like this. I forget where I heard it, but I thought that the beer bottles you get in commercially produced brews aren't meant to be reusable. Whatever. I'll break a neck every now and again...just good reason to keep buying some commercial beer so you have more empties to add into your rotation! :)

Nebben is right. Many bottles cannot withstand the repeated stresses of carbing and use.

Sam Adams bottles tend to do this to me once in a while. For that reason I will only bottle in a SA bottle once and then toss it.

Sierra Nevada bottles seem to be a little huskier and among my favorites for reusing.

Yeah I use a wing style capper but I've never had this problem before. Guess I'll just have to be more careful which bottles I use.

-Archroy

Have you had any luck with Samual Smith bottles? I have a bunch of them and they seem preaty stout

I've had good luck with "craft" beer bottles, like those from New Glarus. They seem just like the bottles for sale at the LHBS. I've also used Sam Adams bottles with sucess. A couple of years ago, I bought a few empty cases of Grolsh bottles (can't stand the beer) and primarily use those and only rarely use the capper any more. Only bottles possibly destined for competitions or beer swaps get bottles in the traditional brown bottles with caps.

FWIW, Bench cappers are not that expensive on Ebay. If you are going to brew regularly, they would be a nice investment. I often use Bass bottles, and they are the thinnest I've ever seen!

The neck of every single Hofbrau bottle broke the second time I tried to re-use them. After 3-4 I had to dump them back into the bottling bucket and use different bottles. What a pain

i have a buddy that is exclusive to Sam Adams bottles. As far as i know, he's never had a problem. I've helped him bottle a few times and they've been pretty good.

Back