WB-06 Hefe going very slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenOcean

Reaction score
I made an extract Hefewiezen, using a recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles". They recommended a fermentation temperature of 62 F for a couple strains of Wyeast and White Labs yeasts. I had dry Fermentis WB-06, so I thought, why not try that at 62? It's well within the recommended temperatures.

Anyways, the fermentation started off quickly, but was never terribly strong... It died down a bit after a week as usual and now for the last 4 weeks it's been very slowly bubbling away! I've never seen anything like it... Almost every fermentation I've ever done has basically stopped showing signs of fermentation after two weeks or so. I recently took two hydrometer readings 3 days apart, and sure enough, it was down one point (1.012 to 1.011)... So, more than a month later, it is truly still fermenting.

Anyone ever seen anything like that? I'm not particularly worried... The beer tastes great. I'm just wondering when I'll get to bottle it and actually enjoy it!

Back