WB-06 Ferment Temp for more Banana Flavors (Hefeweizen)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WB-06 has absolutely nothing to do in a hefe in my opinion, but it makes a pretty decent wit if you start it at 24C and keep it there for a few days.
Thanks, now I know what I will use the pack, I bought a few years ago, for.

Basically 50% basemalt, 50% flaked wheat and about 15ibus?

Thanks, now I know what I will use the pack, I bought a few years ago, for.

Basically 50% basemalt, 50% flaked wheat and about 15ibus?

Yeah. something like that. But I forgot to mention for a 20-25L batch or smaller do not rehydrate it. You'll lose a lot of phenols if you do.

I was shooting for a hefe with apple and banana note but I didn't get a hefe, I got a wit bier flavor instead. Very good wit, than you. But not a fefe. Similar results to what others have posted in this thread.

Cellar temps were mid 70's and I had no temp controls.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but feel like its better to do that than creating a new reduntant one.
Any experience using WB-06 for mead / braggot? Today I tried to get rid of some leftovers, and came up with following:

2.1 l batch (aiming at just < 2l into secondary)
500 g clover honey
50 g thyme honey
100 g DME, boiled for about 30 min to get a bit of maillard in it
Pitched in rehydrated WB-06

Not sure if WB will have enough power to work its way through this, so can pitch in some champagne yeast after 2-3 weeks or so - not sure if its good idea.
Plan is to leave it in primary for a while, then rack to secondary, then wait for 2-3 months and see what comes out of this...
Just wondering what to expect in 6 months from now.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but feel like its better to do that than creating a new reduntant one.
Any experience using WB-06 for mead / braggot? Today I tried to get rid of some leftovers, and came up with following:

2.1 l batch (aiming at just < 2l into secondary)
500 g clover honey
50 g thyme honey
100 g DME, boiled for about 30 min to get a bit of maillard in it
Pitched in rehydrated WB-06

Not sure if WB will have enough power to work its way through this, so can pitch in some champagne yeast after 2-3 weeks or so - not sure if its good idea.
Plan is to leave it in primary for a while, then rack to secondary, then wait for 2-3 months and see what comes out of this...
Just wondering what to expect in 6 months from now.

You'll get mead. Don't expect any clove or banana. Just a regular mead.

Shame.... How's so?

Mead is mead; beer is beer. The chemical constituents of honey vs. malt are different.

Actually now I see you are planning to use some DME. Therefore, you *might* get some effects from the DME. However I doubt it will be enough to have any detectable effect.

Back