Ways to improve Coopers IPA kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Just got this kit for a screaming deal, want to try it, however have heard that it is a little bit "malty" in the flavor department and also a little lacking in the ABV.

Any suggestions on how to improve this kit? I'm still relatively new to this...Dry hopping, more sugar? An idiot proof recomendation would be great. I like a good hoppy IPA

Additionally, I've heard in the past and on some of these sames board that the coopers kits are "no boil" and actually the act of boiling them can cause some issues.

Well I made a good one with the Coopers kit - 3LBS of liquid malt extract - 2LBS of liquid glucose (if you cant get that try 1.5LBS of dextrose) 1oz of noble hops.....

I added 1LBS of the malt to some water on the stove and boiled in the 1oz of hops in the 1lb of malt and water for 30 minutes.. dumped the pot into my fermenter then added the other 2 LBS of malt - the liquid sugar - topped up to 20L

Made a taste test video when i was done - hope this helps!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYJSpdcHJw]Coopers India Pale Ale review - YouTube[/ame]

the 3 lb of LME that your referring to is the coopers can of IPA extract right? Did you boil the hops for the full 30? Would you advise adding more at different intervals?

What about dry hopping?

In the video,he shows a 3lb can of Munton's plain LME,& 2lbs glucose. He boiled the hops in the plain (un-hopped) LME for 30 mins. Remove the hop sack if used,Then at flame out add the remainder of malts & glucose. The cooper's cans of pre hopped LME's should always be added at flame out while the wort is still hot to keep from darkening or boiling off hop aroma. I forget how he does it,but it's good not to boil hopped extracts.

Does this sound reasonable.

Boil 1lb can of muntons light LME with 2 oz cascade hops (added at 30 min and 15 min intervals) with 1 gallon water for 30 minutes

Then add coopers light malt extract (500g) 1 lb dextrose (bump this to 1.5?), coopers IPA can and another pound of the muntons LME?

Then dry hop later with 2oz cascade pellet?

I've done quite a few idiot proof kits, but this getting fancy stuff takes a ton of reading (of which I am)

Does this sound reasonable.

Boil 1lb can of muntons light LME with 2 oz cascade hops (added at 30 min and 15 min intervals) with 1 gallon water for 30 minutes

Then add coopers light malt extract (500g) 1 lb dextrose (bump this to 1.5?), coopers IPA can and another pound of the muntons LME?

Then dry hop later with 2oz cascade pellet?

I've done quite a few idiot proof kits, but this getting fancy stuff takes a ton of reading (of which I am)

I'd use the cooper's light DME for the hop additions,say 25 & 12 minutes. Then add the dextrose & LME cans at flameout. It'll be cleaner & lighter colored that way. And no extract "twang".

I started one last night.

I used 3 oz. of Amarillo hops; 1 oz. for 20 minutes and 2 oz. for 15 minutes.

Additionally, I added 3.3 lbs. of Light LME and 1 lb. of clear candi sugar (mostly because I have 3 lbs. that were gifted that I need to use at some point.

I used two Coopers' dry yeast packets (one that came with the can and one left over from another can that I used another yeast for).

I plan to dry hop with another oz. of Amarillo for 7 days after the fermentation appears close to completion.

No action this morning, but I returned home from work to about a 1/2" or so of krauzen.

I'll let you know if it worked out well or not in a couple months.

What cooper's can did you use? I'm also curious about how the candi sugar will work out. But 14g of cooper's ale yeast should do it ime.

What cooper's can did you use? I'm also curious about how the candi sugar will work out. But 14g of cooper's ale yeast should do it ime.
I used a Coopers IPA can.

I hope the sugar bodes well. If not, I'll have to put a decent amount of thought into what can be done with the remaining 2 lbs.

I will dig up this post when it is drinkable and I have a chance to enjoy one or two. I'm guessing it will be at least 6 weeks from now, as I like to give three weeks minimum for conditioning in the bottle.

Ok,guess I had a brain fart at this point. Only 1lb of candi sugar shouldn't be too bad,since you have a good amount of malt in there. It'll be leaning more toward an American IPA,though. English IPA's are different.

Ok,guess I had a brain fart at this point. Only 1lb of candi sugar shouldn't be too bad,since you have a good amount of malt in there. It'll be leaning more toward an American IPA,though. English IPA's are different.
I'm more of an APA fan as it is. I think I could have used a different hop for a more English blend, but the American style appeals to me more.

Well, I brewed this almost exactly a week ago, took a hydrometer reading yesterday and today. Fermentation appears to be done. Not much of a hop flavor too it, and a strong alcohol taste. Any ideas as to why? Leave it in primary for a little longer or move it and dry hop? I know its a little early, but its concerning as its not tasting good right now.

I have brewed this kit a few times with good results. My latest had the 1.7kg kit, 1kg LME, 1kg sugar mix (500g dextrose, 250g DME and 250g maltodextrine).

I did a 20 min hops boil in about half the bag of sugar mix. 15g cascade at 20 min and 15g at flame out. The LME, rest of sugar and kit were added a few min before flameout and once boiling I added the hops and flame off. I'd probably change this next time and add the LME and kit and hops all at flame out and then let sit covered for 5 min before cooling.

Will be in primary for 10 days and dry hopped with 20g cascade for another 10 days.

SG was 1073.

I used slight variations on this a few times. Sometime a bit caramely hence playing around with the late addition a bit. Enjoyable though! Coopers yeast has seemed pretty tolerant to high SG and brew temp. (Australian summer!) I do brew in a better bottle and shake the hell out of it before pitching.

Back