Way Too Much Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. I did my first AG batch last night. All seemed to go well until the chilling. Granted, it was hot yesterday and my ground water was around 82˚F. I was gently stirring the wort to make it chill faster. At the point that I was at 82˚F I removed the immersion chiller and put the kettle into an ice bath. I was able to drop it to about 68˚F but what I assume was hot break never totally settled out. I was careful not to stir too deep into the kettle.

Bottom line is that I transferred way too much hot break into the carboy. I'm I going to have any detrimental effects to my beer? I haven't had this problem before even though I did an extract IPA 4 weeks ago and it was just as hot.

Any pointers for my next batch. I plan on brewing again tomorrow or the next day. Thanks. :mug:

Um, I wouldn't worry about it. I stir the hell out of my wort before I put it into the fermenter. If it's the hop particles your worried about, run through a strainer, but I don't considering they're actually good for yeast health plus, my hellacious stirring aerates the brew.

I normally get a lot of hot break in my fermenter...
i don't think it has too much effect on my finished product.

Just let it sit a little longer in the primary (or transfer) and it normally settles out

It's just one of those brewer's preference things, really. IT won't effect the final product one bit. Just like with extract brewing, some dump everything in the fermenter, some strain, and some rack off the wort once it's been cooled with their autosiphon into the fermenter. Relax.

There's more than one way to skin the brewing cat, and they all work fine.

It's already pretty much settled out. It was just strange to see that much of it in the carboy. I took a sample to check my OG and I had about 2" of it in the test tube. I just checked the carboy. The hot break that settled out so far is almost up the the 1 gallon mark.

It's already pretty much settled out. It was just strange to see that much of it in the carboy. I took a sample to check my OG and I had about 2" of it in the test tube. I just checked the carboy. The hot break that settled out so far is almost up the the 1 gallon mark.

i would say that i get about the same...

i normally start with 7 g in the boil, siphon down to 5.5 in the fermentor....

probably leave behind .25-.5g in the pot.

when i rack to keg, i have about 5g

Before transferring to the fermenter, I do a whirlpool (in other words - I swirl the crap out of the wort while still in the boil kettle, then let sit for a few minutes), then I use an autosiphon into the fermenter.

This doesn't completely remove the hotbreak, but it does minimize it. I've had batches with as much trub at the bottom as you noted, but IMO it didn't affect the overall quality.

At this point I will be just under 5 gallons. I started with 6.5 gallons in the kettle. I boiled off a little more than I thought I would. My OG was 1.048. Should have been about 1.051 according to the recipe so I didn't add any water at the end. It was the Haus Pale Ale recipe listed on this site.

I hit and maintained my mash temp. I guess my efficiency wasn't that great.

Back