Way Too Cold Initial Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanMan15

Reaction score
Yesterday I did my third brew ever, making a vanilla caramel cream ale, and everything went great until after I pitched the yeast. I have a refrigerator that I converted into a fermentation chamber with a thermostat controller to control the temperature. Well for some reason, the fridge decided to bypass the thermostat controller and cool the wort down to about 40 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour or two.

I've since fixed my settings and brought it back up to 60 degrees but I'm concerned that I stalled out the yeast. Should I repitch or do you think it's ok to let it ride out?

By the way, I used Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast.

Thanks in advanced for your brain powers!

Last edited:
It will be fine, might give it a gentle swirl but the yeast will be fine. Storage temps for yeast are below that. If they freeze the aren't to happy but 40 is fine.

Agreed, Let it go for a day or two, maybe try shaking it or using another shot of oxygen if it doesn't take off in a day or two. If there isn't any activity in three or four days, re-pitch.

Agreed, Let it go for a day or two, maybe try shaking it or using another shot of oxygen if it doesn't take off in a day or two. If there isn't any activity in three or four days, re-pitch.

^ this ^

In a wort that cold, your yeast went dormant, may not have had time to propagate at all.

So if there's no sign after 2 days AND your gravity hasn't changed a bit, re-oxygenate/re-aerate, rouse, and it should be fine.

Yet, 60F is still a bit cold for an ale yeast, even a German Ale yeast. 63-65F is more in line with their specs and capabilities.

It would have been way worse if you had cold crashed the beer in the middle or toward the end of a fermentation.

In red Repitching should not be necessary. You didn't kill the yeast.

Latest posts

Back