Way off topic. Thawing a turkey.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eSePeludo

Reaction score
Hello all so i know this is a beer forum but from experience the folk on here seem to have some great advice that covers a broader spectrum than just beer.

Here goes my question. I have a 20 lb bird, the Internet tells me i need 5 full days for it to thaw in my fridge. I just now remembered to begin the thawing process 730 pm PT.

I want to use a hybrid form of thawing part one fridge thawing part 2 water/brine thawing since ive started the thawing process late and want to brine the bird.

My plan is to continue to keep the bird in the fridge till 12 am Thursday, i will then prepare a brine, fully submerge my bird in it and place my container in my ferm chamber where i will then set to 38 f. This will allow me to brine the brine the bird while also thawing it and not having to change out the water.

Does this make sense? Has anyone ever done anything similar to this?

Thank you and Cheers for reading.

Edit: A word

3 or so hours in a sink or tub or cooler full of cool water (change water every half hour) will get you defrosted. Then start your brine.

3 or so hours in a sink or tub or cooler full of cool water (change water every half hour) will get you defrosted. Then start your brine.

and that time frame is considering the time spent thawing in the fridge? I still plan on placing it in my ferm chamber to avoid having to change the water.

Got a ten-gallon mash tun or other big cooler? Put it in there (still wrapped) with ice water, and it'll be thawed in less than a day. Just make sure to add more ice if it melts away.

Latest posts

Back