Watery Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopaim5

Reaction score
I used a thomas cooper irish stout kit. I intended to do a 5 gallon batch however i used my 6.5 gallon bucket to fill my primary fermenting bucket instead of the 5 gallon carboy (i know stupid mistake). the OG was 1.043 12 days later (today) the gravity is reading 1.05. i want to transfer this to a secondary however i wanted to add something to give it a little more creaminess. andy recommendations maltodextrin or lactose (I'm leaning towards lactose) is there any thing i could do to help this batch. I mean it tastes good however it seems more like a porter than a stout. I also would like to add some type of additive either chocolate, vanilla, or coffee to the secondary. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I hate it when that happens. If it tastes good, I would just go with it. Nothing wrong with having a good porter.

ok i feel better that i am not the only person that this has happened to lol.

thanks

hiphopaim5 said:
I used a thomas cooper irish stout kit. I intended to do a 5 gallon batch however i used my 6.5 gallon bucket to fill my primary fermenting bucket instead of the 5 gallon carboy (i know stupid mistake). the OG was 1.043 12 days later (today) the gravity is reading 1.05. i want to transfer this to a secondary however i wanted to add something to give it a little more creaminess. andy recommendations maltodextrin or lactose (I'm leaning towards lactose) is there any thing i could do to help this batch. I mean it tastes good however it seems more like a porter than a stout. I also would like to add some type of additive either chocolate, vanilla, or coffee to the secondary. Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I'm assuming you meant 1.005? Since 1.05 would be higher than your 1.043 OG. For chocolate you can add some cocoa nibs and let it sit in those for a bit. Same with the vanilla just make sure to split and scrape the beans. As for coffee I think adding cold brewed coffee at bottling time gives the best results. You just add a little at a time until the taste is where you want it.

One of the best things you can add to this to give it a fuller feeling/flavor is time. Stouts take way more time to mature than most people realize. I brewed a robust porter and it was thin and watery. It remained that way for quite a while and I kept opening bottles to try and was disappointed each time until about 2 1/2 month after I bottled it when I got a bottle that was robust and had more of a creamy mouthfeel. That was how long it took to mature.

I guess time should prove to be the best option. thanks for the advice!!:cross:

Quick update....I added 1/2 pound of lactose and 4oz of chocolate extract....I must say it taste pretty mouthy and full. I was deg impressed with the quick results just from transferring this brew to the secondary. Any one know any thing I could do to add to bottling to make the beers a little differnt....let's say 12 bottles of let's say chocolate cherry....and maybe 12 of maybe chocolate coffee....ect.

Just drank my first bottle one week after bottling n it was awesome. The lactose really turned this beer back towards the category of a stout. Thanks for all the help!

Back