Watery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xavius

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I've been lurking for awhile and even ponied up some cash you've been so helpful :)

I'm on batch #4 and have two brews going, a Muntons Export Stout and a Mr Beer Oatmeal Stout that I had forgotten about. I followed the instructions and just tasted them and they're a bit watery tasting. They should hit somewhere close to the final APV listed by the manufacturer but I'd like them to have more "body" I guess. Anything I can do at this point (they were in primary 4 weeks) that will give them just a bit more flavor? Or will the carb process help as far as that goes? These are the first stouts I've done, my other batches were pale ales and ciders and they always turned out great, even if a bit generic tasting.

I figured it would change the profile of the beer, I'll bottle it and wait a few weeks and see how it does. Thanks :)

You can boil some lactose and water and add it before bottling, it's an unfermentable sugar so your yeast won't go to work on it. I would think 2 or 3 cups of lactose would add a pretty good amount of body to 5 gallons of beer. (i can come up with a better number, by weight instead of volume, after i get home I'm at work now. My quick search says between 5 and 13%)

You'd essentially be turning it into a sweet stout or a milk stout.

Hrmm, I might do that for the oatmeal, I think I'll leave the other stout alone. Or I might separate both and bottle half with and half without..Actually that sounds like a good idea. I'm just now after a few batches starting to get a feel for brewing, and getting a little bit of confidence to experiment. Next batch I'm going to start a brew log and take gravity readings so I can recreate/modify brews.

Gravity readings would be a big help to modifying the brews you have now, we could look at your fg now, then come up with a new fg based on how much lactose you use. That would help us make sure you over sweeten your beer. I'd recommend picking up a hydrometer when you go buy lactose.

Although, I'm no where near as experienced as Revvy. So he might have a comment on my suggestion. Or you can trust him, leave them be, and make adjustments for your next batch.

I got a couple hydrometers with my equipment upgrade, I'll definitely be taking OG and FG next go-around.

And yes, I've read enough of Revvy's posts over the last few weeks to see that he might know a thing or ten about brewing :) I think I'm actually going to steal his direct bottling wand to bottling bucket idea for this bottling session. It looks like it would make the process so much easier.

Flat beer can definitely taste thin and watery. If you are really concerned you could try adding lactose but I would just let them carb up over a month or so and then see where you are.

Latest posts

Back