Watery Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Just racked my EdWort's Apfelwein off the yeast after 5 weeks. Clear as a bell, with a FG of 1.000. It tastes kind of weak, though. I.E. dilute and watery. I know this stuff sneaks up on you, but it doesn't have a lot of body. Anything to be concerned about, or anything I can do?

I wasn't impressed so much when I racked it out of primary. It reminded me of a wine that has been opened for a day or so and felt 'flat'. I wouldn't worry about it, let it age at least 3 weeks before making a decision. Not like you can do much about it now anyway. Let us know what you think in a few weeks. :mug:

I wasn't impressed so much when I racked it out of primary. It reminded me of a wine that has been opened for a day or so and felt 'flat'. I wouldn't worry about it, let it age at least 3 weeks before making a decision. Not like you can do much about it now anyway. Let us know what you think in a few weeks. :mug:

Did you bottle it still or carbonated? I'm thinking of splitting the batch 1/2 still 1/2 carbonated. I was thinking about using the carb-tabs but they all have some light DME plus sugar. It's very small, but I wonder if it will affect the taste of a "wine".

Did you bottle it still or carbonated? I'm thinking of splitting the batch 1/2 still 1/2 carbonated. I was thinking about using the carb-tabs but they all have some light DME plus sugar. It's very small, but I wonder if it will affect the taste of a "wine".

was wondering about the carb tabs would work also. what brand are you thinking about using?

I used a full 5oz (1 oz / 1 gal). I really like it in one week, I like the very mild carbonation. In 3 weeks, like beer it was fully carbed likea beer. My next batch (pitched last Sunday) I'll prob use much less sugar to carb, prob 1/2 (2.5 oz).

My current batch tasted watery out of the primary also, looking forward to seeing if anyone's got better after aging more.

Apfelwein makers, there is a reason your apfelwein doesn't taste very good and is lacking apple flavor, ie. watery.

Montrachet wine yeast, get rid of it. You aren't gonna have apple flavor if you use this yeast for a VERY long time, about a year.

If you search the forums you will find many people have had great success with lots of other different yeasts.

If you want a cider, which has tons of apple flavor and some body, look in the Cider recipe section.

Why not remove 2 cups from the fermenter, warm it up and mix in 1-2 oz of malto dextrin?

Also, I used Weihenstephan yeast in 5 gal AJ, 2 lbs corn sugar and 3 lbs of honey. It fermented out to 1.000, but was still sweet and dry.
I recommend it.;)

pretty much any ale yeast works awesome as well, I've had awesome luck with WLP023 as of late. perceived body is also upped by tannins and acid content that are present in cider apples in higher concentrations than eating apples or in commercial apple juices.

Back