Watermelon wine with favor issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twobowdens

Reaction score
We brewed a 5 gal Carboy of watermelon wine this summer and while it starts nice and light; it finishes with a raw squash flavor. It’s totally unappealing. At first I thought we did something wrong but then I put together a mixed fruit wine to use up a bunch of fruit in the freezer at the end of the summer and used one last bag of watermelon. To my horror, there’s a faint raw squash flavor at the finish. Any ideas for a fix?

All I can tell you is watermelon is notorious for needing a ton of aging. Give it a taste test next summer, see how it goes. Did you ferment juice only (no water)? No rind?

I have not made watermelon wine. It seems to me though that the fruit is very much like a sweet squash. If you fermented all the sugar, I would think you would get a very vegetal flavor, much like watermelon rinds. To make it palatable you may want to back sweeten it. That may get you the watermelon taste back.

Back