watering down wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I tried to post this yesterday, but for some reason it disappeared.

I made a batch of berry wine (blackberry/raspberry). I just moved it to the secondary. It sitting at about 12%.
Now I have about 1/2 gal left over. I am thinking about adding water to it to make it more like a cider, aiming for 7-8%, then bottle carb. Has anyone done something like this?

I would be concerned that you are doing more than reducing the amount of alcohol. You will be reducing the amount of flavor. I would add more juice rather than water and allow that juice to ferment. If you have half a gallon of 12% then adding another half gallon of juice will be adding a liquid at about 1.050 gravity (or a potential ABV of 6.55% and that will give you a wine of about 9%. Add another half gallon and your final gravity will be about 6-7%.. with no significant loss of flavor. But that's what I would do. Others may have very different approaches.

Latest posts

Back