Water ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all store-bought RO water is equal. My local WallyWorld has a Primo dispenser, with water selling for 37c/gal. I looked up their data sheet online (PDF) and it shows 33ppm TDS, with 12ppm Ca, 7.6ppm SO4. Their website states that they add a "secret formula of calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate and sodium bicarbonate" for flavor. The PDF data sheet does not have listings for the magnesium or sodium levels, probably so that we cannot reverse-engineer their "secret formula" of minerals.

Not all store-bought RO water is equal. My local WallyWorld has a Primo dispenser, with water selling for 37c/gal. I looked up their data sheet online (PDF) and it shows 33ppm TDS, with 12ppm Ca, 7.6ppm SO4. Their website states that they add a "secret formula of calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate and sodium bicarbonate" for flavor. The PDF data sheet does not have listings for the magnesium or sodium levels, probably so that we cannot reverse-engineer their "secret formula" of minerals.

That's why it's useful to have a TDS meter (~$15) to check on the quality of what you're getting. My local Walmart's RO water clocked in at 7ppm. This is lower than the set levels in Bru'n Water for RO which are more inline with the numbers you have mentioned.

My guess is that the manufacturers list their maximum levels so that customers can decide if it's good enough. If it's lower at the dispenser all the better. I'm sure the TDS of the RO water can vary from store to store and machine to machine depending on multiple factors.

That's why it's useful to have a TDS meter (~$15) to check on the quality of what you're getting. My local Walmart's RO water clocked in at 7ppm. This is lower than the set levels in Bru'n Water for RO which are more inline with the numbers you have mentioned.

My guess is that the manufacturers list their maximum levels so that customers can decide if it's good enough. If it's lower at the dispenser all the better. I'm sure the TDS of the RO water can vary from store to store and machine to machine depending on multiple factors.

I just went to Walmart a few minutes ago to pick up some photo prints. Just for fun I bought a gallon of the Primo water. I tested it with my TDS meter, and it showed 10ppm. A lot less than the company's stated 33ppm. Maybe they are no longer adding their "secret formula" of salts to the water. :)

It's kind of moot for me anyway, as I now have an RO system (Buckeye Hydro), where I get 4ppm. Based on my tap water's 194ppm, that's close to 98% rejection. 4ppm vs. 10ppm is kind of negligible for my purposes, but I do like making my own RO at home. No more lugging 5 gal jugs to and from the store. Plus I can use it for coffee makers, humidifier, Starsan, etc.

I understand what you're saying. But " spring water" is not the same as " ground" or "well" water. Our aquifers here in Ohio have been pretty good since I started using them a few years ago. May have to see if I can get a water report from White House?

I don't consider it nit-picking when you are telling a potentially inexperienced brewer that spring water is specifically something, when it's potentially not even close to suitable for. Above you make a very broad claim that seems to include an entire state. I can tell you that the local water here, and the water that gets put in Ice Mountain (there is NO mountain remotely close to us...) is vastly different from water also drawn from the ground mere miles away. Water that comes gushing from the ground right next to the house I grew up in about 45 minutes away is high in iron and sulfer. And that is an Artisian well!

Surface water, or water close to the surface is especially susceptible to contamination.

You also make a claim that someone should be able to simply smell a water and know if it's suitable for brewing, which is absurd. I'll give you that in SOME CASES you can smell water and know it's got stuff in there that you don't want in your beer, but there are plenty of waters that are unsuitable for most brewing, that smell the same as perfectly suitable water.

I'm just trying to prevent someone from reading your comments and believing that all water labeled spring water is low in mineral content and suitable for all kinds of brewing, or simply being able to sniff some water and know that it's good for beer.

I never said anybody should be able to smell it. I said when they're high I could smell it, like sulphur & the like. Some places in WV, for example, or my dad's buddy's farm over in N olmsted I could. Nasty stuff. Of course I or anyone else can't smell or taste it in all water...just the particularly strong stuff. I could anyway. Besides, folks should read labels. Yet another subject I can no longer talk about unless I become a walking textbook by some famous person. I always mentioned where I got & they can see under my avatar where. I guess 60 years of experience isn't the same as a damn book, treatise or paper. I'm done. Guess I'll just read from now on...

This water stuff is kinda confusing but I'm gonna email the local water commission to see if they got some #'s I can start with. I haven't tried to make any beer from my water here,coffee tastes like crap so I can't see beer being good. But may just need a carbon taste/odor filter and campden tabs for chlorimine. If I get any #'s from them I'll post em.

[

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

This thread gives you a great, simple guide for using RO water, sour malt, gypsum, calcium chloride. It's a great place to start if you are not chemically inclined (like me). Every thing you need is on the first page of the thread.

edit: added the quote[/QUOTE]

Great info one question .. Which category would pale ale fit in? My first brew gonna be Yoopers pale ale

I read me a book called tappy tappy tippee that had a section on water sniffin' for minerals. I think they might be onto something here.

This water stuff is kinda confusing but I'm gonna email the local water commission to see if they got some #'s I can start with. I haven't tried to make any beer from my water here,coffee tastes like crap so I can't see beer being good. But may just need a carbon taste/odor filter and campden tabs for chlorimine. If I get any #'s from them I'll post em.

See if their water report is online. IDK where you are, but it might be found that way, that's how I found mine!

Also, you might be surprised what just a Campden tab can do. My tap water goes from smelling somewhat like a swimming pool to, well, odorless.

See if their water report is online. IDK where you are, but it might be found that way, that's how I found mine!

Also, you might be surprised what just a Campden tab can do. My tap water goes from smelling somewhat like a swimming pool to, well, odorless.

They just got back to me. Only thing online is info on the stuff thats not to be in the water. They said this is recent results :
Alk:98-112 PH:7.8-8.4 Total Hardness 120-144 85-95 calcium .01-.04 manganese Chlorine:.5-1.5 Iron:.00-.01
Isn't there some wide swings there or is that normal? Rite now it smells ok but there are times some kind of algea blooms in lake and water smells like dirt. If a carbon filter makes it taste/smell ok how bad are those #'s to work with? Mainly pales but I do make porters too.
Kurt

They just got back to me. Only thing online is info on the stuff thats not to be in the water. They said this is recent results :
Alk:98-112 PH:7.8-8.4 Total Hardness 120-144 85-95 calcium .01-.04 manganese Chlorine:.5-1.5 Iron:.00-.01
Isn't there some wide swings there or is that normal? Rite now it smells ok but there are times some kind of algea blooms in lake and water smells like dirt. If a carbon filter makes it taste/smell ok how bad are those #'s to work with? Mainly pales but I do make porters too.
Kurt

Honestly, if it's that bad, I would find some RO water and work with that. Reason being that you can get numerous water reports throughout the year, but if you water varies that much you never really know how much of anything is going to be in it at any given time.

And RO is way easy to calculate with.

Back