Water way up blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltwhiskers

Reaction score
So I brewed my Chimay Blue clone last weekend and when I checked on it a few days later I was surprised to find that water from the blowoff bowl I use was waaaay up in the tube (like 6 inches of water) reaching vertically out of the bowl up the tube leading back to the carboy. Also, no signs of fermentation yet, but the water in the tube was a first for me. This happen to anyone else? What's going on there?

When a closed system cools, air will become compressed creating a vacuum. As your wort cooled the air in your fermenter contracted, drawing up water through the blow off tube to make up the change in air volume.

The story gets better. When I've had that happen,I instinctively pulled up on the tube to let the water/Starsan mix out. Stuck the tube back in place & it bubbled right away.:drunk:

Cool. Makes sense when you explain it that way. Tonight, after gently shaking and adding a few billion yeast cells yesterday, it is happily bubbling away.

Back