Water treatment suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynchy217

Reaction score
So, my city's water appears to be very low in almost every ion. I was reading Palmer's section on water, and it seems that my numbers are way below his suggestions, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea about what to add to get a good profile for beer. Unfortunately, the only report I could find online was from 2011, but talking to my uncle who works at the local WW, it hasn't really changed much

The water report can be found here.

Does this seem suitable for brewing? are there any easy changes I can make to make it better?

Thanks!

It should be fine. You don't HAVE to have a lot of ionic content in your brewing water, but most beers are better with some content.

There is a bit of a disconnect with the Magnesium content and the Magnesium Hardness (which is Total Hardness - Calcium Hardness). The hardness value indicates that the magnesium content should be higher than 1 ppm, probably closer to 2 ppm. Whew! big difference. Don't worry about this component.

It is a good starting point and you should be able to consider it near RO quality water.

Back