Water treatment for big stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Hi all,

I realize there have been multiple threads on this topic, but I'm gearing up to brew a pretty big stout and could use some guidance for my specific recipe. It's a little extra complicated because I'm going to attempt a polygyle (reiterated) mash, splitting the grain bill in half (I actually ordered it in two separate packages).

The recipe in question is pretty low in roasted malts (this is the halved version):

4 lb 2-row (1.8L)
3.5 lb Golden Promise (3L)
1.25 lb Caramunich III (55L, according to the store I bought from, but most places say 71L)
1 lb Flaked Oats (1L)
0.6 lb Kiln Coffee Malt (165L)
0.6 lb Crystal 120L (120L)
0.25 lb Chocolate (350L)
0.25 lb Midnight Wheat (550L)​

That's 11.45 lbs total, per mash.

My plan is to do the first mash in 4.5 gallons of distilled/RO water, then sparge with 4 gallons of distilled/RO.

When I plug this info into a water calculator like Brewer's friend, I get an expected mash pH of 5.33 without any adjustment. My understanding is a pH of 5.4-5.6 would be better for smoothing out harsher roast notes, but given that the recipe is pretty low in roast to begin with, maybe it's not necessary?

What sort of Ca/Cl/SO4/HCO should I be shooting for, pH aside?

My other question is, since I'm going to be performing the second mash with wort from the first mash, what kind of salt additions (if any) do I need to do to ensure good conversion? This article from Chris Colby suggests I just need to add the same quantity of Calcium that I added to the first mash, which to me reads like copying the CaCl addition, but maybe I'm misinterpreting that.

Back