Water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double-R

Reaction score
Been adding numbers into Brewater 3.0, So it seems that only low SRM style beers are possible . what do you think
pH 7.4
Sodium, Na 10
Potassium, K < 1
Calcium, Ca 6
Magnesium, Mg 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 19
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.3 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 2
Chloride, Cl 10
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 14
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 12
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

You are blessed with very soft water. You'll need to add calcium anyway, so depending on what form you add it you can manipulate the residual alkalinity to suit any beer style.

Your water is very similar to our water here in the Portland area! We are definitely blessed. I feel for all those who have very hard water. It is so much easier to add than to remove salts!

I feel very lucky, all I did was buy some epsom salts, baking soda, calcium chloride, and some gypsum and can very easily duplicate most "famous" water profiles. Or not!
I use the brewers friend website and Beersmith to calculate my water.

I am under the impression that to increase RA without adding excess Na you need chalk/CaCO3/calcium carbonate.

Guess you don't need to if you add dark grains just before lautering.

That is some incredibly soft water. You're very lucky. My bicarbonate number alone is in the 300 range, which makes it useless for brewing anything under 18 SRM. I've been using RO/distilled.

Back