Water Report Fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbf101

Reaction score
About to take the leap into all grain brewing, so I figured ill pull up my water report and try to decipher it.

Parameters for Home Brewing
Calcium (Ca) ppm 3.9
Magnesium (Mg) ppm 0.7
Alkalinity (as CaCO3)1 ppm 16.0
Sulfate (SO4) ppm 2.4
Chloride (Cl) ppm 3.2
Potassium (K) ppm 0.2
Bicarbonate (HCO3) ppm 9.8
pH s.u. 7.9

http://www.ci.everett.wa.us/Get_PDF.aspx?pdfID=3845

My water report actually has a specific homebrewing section (Last page) pretty neat.

I've read How to brew and Complete joy, however this is still jibberish to me. I'm not really going to concern myself with the water chemistry too much for the first couple batches (Doing BM SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde for my first batch.) But it'd be nice to know what styles of beer I should be able to do without too much tinkering. Or if it is even needed.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention to also look into using campden tablets (1/4 tablet crushed and added to mash water) for a 5-gallon batch. If you are using tap water campden neutralizes chlorine/chloramines in the water.

You've got some pretty soft water. Seems suited for pilsners and Munich Helles styles, but you'll want to add acidulated malt to your mash in order to bring down your pH. The primer that Seven linked is a good read. In general, it looks like you're going to have to adjust your water with some salts in order to get where you want to be.

You will be fine with that water. I do second the recommendation to use the recommendations of the Water Primer. That will be a good first step. If you want to take it further someday, visit the Bru'n Water site and read the Water Knowledge section.

Just to make it clear in case it wasn't.... Your water is essentially RO water out of the faucet, and most homebrewers now hate you.

Don't go buy it, you have it already. So long as you deal with the chlorine..

I have no complaints about my water, but yeah, I hate you right now. And the fact that your water company even put in a section specifically for brewers brings that hatred up to seething...

You really do have to love the pacific northwest. We've got some of the best drinking water on the planet right out of the tap.

This is cool information!

We should start bottling up our water in 5 gallon bottles and sell it as brewing water!

Thanks for the info! I always knew we had soft water, didn't know it was almost perfect for brewing though

Thanks for the info! I always knew we had soft water, didn't know it was almost perfect for brewing though

Just remember, there is no single perfect brewing water. A water may be ideally suited to brew a particular beer or style, but even that water will require adjustment to become ideal for other styles.

Just remember, there is no single perfect brewing water. A water may be ideally suited to brew a particular beer or style, but even that water will require adjustment to become ideal for other styles.

I suppose what I meant by "perfect" is a blank canvas to modify as needed. Like I stated previously ill probably not mess with it to much (After reading the primer info I will definitely do that though), at least until I get a few AG batches under my belt.

I have been brewing with that water for years and not a bad beer yet. I do use a charcoal filter to take out the chlorine out. They do not use chloramines. I have lately been adding 10 grams of gypsum for a 5 gallon batch.

I'm in Everett as well and scanned through the whole water report (this was a little over a year ago) until I hit the "Parameters for home brewing" part. Not even brewing. Home Brewing. I don't know if some dude there is a brewer or if enough people from Everett clubs bugged them they decided to put it in the report!

Having moved here from SoCal sludge tap a few years ago, holy moly this water is the best. Happy brewin' jbf101

I have been brewing with that water for years and not a bad beer yet. I do use a charcoal filter to take out the chlorine out. They do not use chloramines. I have lately been adding 10 grams of gypsum for a 5 gallon batch.

When do you add the gypsum?

Back